Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Ram Overheating when towing

Etlon
07-28-2004, 01:15 PM
My 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 overheats when towing over mountain passes. I have changed the thermostat to a 180 degree, added two electric fans plus keeping the stock fan, added dual exhaust, nothing is helping. As soon as I put a load on the engine the needle starts to climb. It goes all the way to the red mark 260 degrees. The truck just had it's 60k service. I have two other friends with the same exact truck who tow trailers that weigh much more than mine and they have no problems. I have plenty of power but it is getting way too hot. Has anyone else had this problem, any ideas on a fix. I did get the heavy duty tow package when I bought the truck new. Thanks John

BleedDodge
07-28-2004, 03:48 PM
A diesel?

fredjacksonsan
07-28-2004, 08:58 PM
How many miles? With a few years on it, you may have a partially clogged radiator. My brother's truck had the same problem; in the winter it was fine, once summer came around and he put a load on it started to overheat. He'd replaced all sorts of stuff including what you've done and also the water pump. Found out that the radiator was not flowing 100%; he replaced it and the temps dropped back where they'd been when new. Hope this helps out; a radiator can look new but have some restriction inside....

LTJGWorth
07-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Yea, a new radiator and water pump is what I would go for. I would suggest a brand new pump too not a remanned, but I don't think it matters as long as you get some sort of warranty on it. As for the radiator, I would go for a good after market one. Like, a really good one. Big too! But that's just me.

BleedDodge
07-29-2004, 12:25 PM
I'd never buy a new rad unless the old one was bent in half. I'd always just have them re-cored.

indyram
07-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Next time you drive it feel on the surface of the radiator, it will obviously be hot so be careful. Try wearing a thin glove and feel over the surface of the radiator to see if there are any spots that are a lot cooler than the rest. That way you know if it's not flowing 100%. Also do a flush.

indyram
07-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Also I know it sounds stupid but did you check the anti-freeze level in the radiator and not just the overflow resivoir?

write off
08-04-2004, 06:10 PM
a friend of mines was doing the exact same thing. We took his water pump of and half the fins were gone. It worked fine till you worked the motor, then it couldnt push enough antifreeze fast enough

moparboy99
08-28-2004, 08:21 PM
we have this problem alot with trucks off of the road that come into our shop what we do is take a steam cleaner and steam out the radatir also what helps when doing this is to removed the condensor so that it is out of the way.

Add your comment to this topic!