Page updated on 10-19-2017

91 Lesabre Driver Side Door Won't Open From Outside

chconkli
07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this subject has already been gone over. I have a 91 LeSabre Custom, (3.8, although I doubt that is relevant to the question at hand) on which the driver's side door will not open from the outside.

Earlier today, I was on my way to run an errand. I unlocked it, and when I pressed in the button under the door handle itself, I felt something come loose or break. After that, the door would not open. It seems to be unlocking, because after I crawled over from the passenger's side after opening that door, the lever was in the unlock position inside the car. It seems like, whatever is behind the button broke. I'm not exactly sure how things work so I was hoping you guys could perhaps shed some light on the subject.

I really don't want to get robbed by the dealer or a mom and pop garage, so I'm hoping this is something I could fix myself. If anyone has any links, advice, etc., that could help me out here, or, at the very least, knows what the problem is, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Shrocat
07-28-2004, 09:13 PM
The mechanism really isn't very complicated. Probably locking retainer popped off on the mechanism for the outside mechanism. If you are mechanically inclined, you can take the door panel off and fix it yourself. If not, a shop should be able to do it in an hour or so. And chances are the part is less than a dollar.

chconkli
07-29-2004, 09:31 AM
I am going to try to take the door panel off this weekend, although I'm weary of it what with "power everything." If I can work on it without taking the panel completely off, then I will do that. Otherwise, I'll take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

I really hope it's a simple thing like you suggest. It seems like everything on this car is awkward and complicated, but that's what makes it special I guess.

In any event, thanks for your advice.

chconkli
08-02-2004, 02:26 PM
I removed the panel, wasn't terribly complicated, but the power window motor was in my way. I could actually reach through a hole in the door and feel what was broken, which was a hook at the end of a cable and some type of metal piece that appears to press against the button that opens the door itself. When you press the button, it releases tension on the cable which opens the door.

Anyway, the power window motor (which the seat belt mechanism also goes through) is apparantly riveted on and I simply did not have the tool to get it off. I'm not even sure if it's a rivet...it looks like a rivet, with a screw through the middle of it...and the head is on the other side, facing the outside door, where no human being alive could access.

I put the panel back together and I'm going to take it to the mechanic. Unless anyone has any further advice. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!