Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 D150 318 Fuel Injected Help Wont Start

MuleJohn
07-27-2004, 04:52 PM
:confused: I need some help please, I am racking my brain on more options :confused: . I have an 1988 Dodge Ram, 318 with FI that won't start. It started one day by the rpm surging and I milked it home. Once home I put it in park and the idle kept surging and sounded like it was missing. I shut it off thinking the TPS might of gone bad or plugs missing, etc. It won't start but turns over. I have verified fuel pressure to be 15 lbs at the TB thinking maybe the fuel pump, (even hooked inline another tank and good pump after) the injector has been changed 2x thinking maybe I had a bad injector. I have changed the computer thinking the signal wasn't getting there. The only way it runs is by spraying carb cleaner in the throtte body and the baby runs like a dream so I figure the converter is not clogged, and my spark plugs are good enough for it to start.
I had the bad boy towed to a shop to retest all the sensors in the fuel system, etc, to see if they could figure it out and they are also stumped, so me being the shade tree kinda guy I am doesn't feel so bad. It has to be something that is preventing the signal/fuel from opening. Maybe a simple safety lock like a water level sensor, (Told it doesn't have one and I can't find it looking anyway). Worst part is I just bought this truck about a month ago from an old man that bought it new. It has ran like a top till this happened. I would greatly like and be grateful for someone to tell me something that might help, look at, or to check. Thank you Bob

BleedDodge
07-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Yeah it can't be getting fuel. There is either something preventing it from physically getting to the motor, or something messed up electronically that makes the computer think it's getting gas when it actually isn't.

Is the check engine light on? It won't give you any in-depth information, but it should be able to point you in the right direction. I don't really know much about these old trucks. Our old truck was a 1986 Ram Royal SE with a 318 and an automatic. I loved it to death, never had any trouble with it of any kind, just put gas in it and go. I miss it terribly. These are good trucks...

MuleJohn
07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
thanks for the reply, no sir no light even when I was milking it home prior to shutting it off. I did make one mistake I feel, I unhooked the battery before reading the codes as soon as I got home to reset the computer now the only code I get is that power was interrupted. I think I might try another computer this weekend if the shop doesn't sort it out. One good thing is I am sure learning and getting good at fuel injection. lol

fredjacksonsan
07-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Sounds like there's pressure, take a look down in the throttle body to see if there's a mist of fuel while someone is turning it over, or if you hear a tic tic tic that would indicate the injector is injecting. There may either be a clog or the signal is not getting to the injector. You might be able to use a test light/voltage meter to see if the signal is actually reaching the injector or not.

BleedDodge
07-28-2004, 09:28 PM
That's the least you could do. That's too bad, at least you can get a code 12 now...

fredjacksonsan
07-28-2004, 09:33 PM
code 12? Please to educate the uneducated.

BleedDodge
07-28-2004, 09:37 PM
"Battery recently disconnected"

He said he unhooked the battery, eh...

fredjacksonsan
07-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Aha, thanks.

MuleJohn
07-30-2004, 12:41 PM
thanks for the input I have changed the injector twice both times new ones, It has to be a block of the signal to the let the fuel squirt from the injector. I'll be buying a service anual tonight to get more educated on the system. And probably scratching my head again tomorrow. I have heard the tic tic tic sound. I do have fuel right at the throttle body.

Add your comment to this topic!