Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

epoxy putty

g00eY
07-27-2004, 04:11 PM
how much do you think i should be spending on putty if im planning to make a wide body integra? from the looks of it ill be spending more on putty than i did for the model :eek7: . im also wondering what brand of putty i should be aiming for.

mike@af
07-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Tamiya Epoxy Putty. Its hard to gauge how much putty you will use. Probably a 1.5-2 boxes.

BugZilla
07-27-2004, 05:58 PM
I use Tamiya and Milliput and like them equally. I don't know all the prices for the different putty's, but buy more than you think you will need, either way you will use a bunch experimenting or you will get hooked.

Dave

www.detailanddesigninscale.com

DJPaul
07-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Do you think if my LHS asks $6 for Tamiya Epoxy is fair price or its a rip off.

IImportSupra
07-27-2004, 06:21 PM
No thats the average price for Tamiya Epoxy Putty Quick Type (TEPQ).

g00eY
07-27-2004, 06:44 PM
can you use clay?

IImportSupra
07-27-2004, 06:51 PM
can you use clay?
No :uhoh: :sly:

g00eY
07-27-2004, 07:03 PM
which epoxy putty is the cheapest but still good?

and if i decide to get milliput should i get standard grain or the superfine grain?

BugZilla
07-27-2004, 07:21 PM
which epoxy putty is the cheapest but still good?

and if i decide to get milliput should i get standard grain or the superfine grain?

I really like the Milliput superfine even though it is a bit more expensive, but the standard works well too. The rear arches and some of the front in the sig. picture are all done with superfine. I have dropped the Altezza 3 times and nothing has popped off. Drying time is a bit long, about 4 hrs, but when it is done I really like the way it sands.

Dave

www.detailanddesigninscale.com

g00eY
07-27-2004, 09:52 PM
why is putty so expensive?

IImportSupra
07-28-2004, 11:07 AM
you think 6 buks is expensive?

DJPaul
07-28-2004, 11:09 AM
WIth my budget YES

Turbo Monster
07-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Modelling isn't exactly an inexpensive hobby, but as long as you have fun, who cares! Look at how much real cars cost.... *sigh* or nitro r/c, or even electric r/c, or the millions of other hobbies!

I would definitely use Tamiya, their stuff is great!

Inservible
07-28-2004, 01:27 PM
try to find epoxy putties in craft stores; they are cheaper there than in a LHS.
And IMO they are better too.

DJPaul
07-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Modelling isn't exactly an inexpensive hobby, but as long as you have fun, who cares! Look at how much real cars cost.... *sigh* or nitro r/c, or even electric r/c, or the millions of other hobbies!
I totaly agree with you here. It's fun and relaxation and also a good this to teach your kids.

I should try Michaels over the lunch.
Thanks.

krebs128
07-28-2004, 02:07 PM
i've heard bad things about milliputty, mostly in here. never tried it myself though. has anyone used or heard of experiences of squadron putty? i just picked up a tube of it, half the price of tamiya and the guy working there said it was pretty good.

mike@af
07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
i've heard bad things about milliputty, mostly in here. never tried it myself though. has anyone used or heard of experiences of squadron putty? i just picked up a tube of it, half the price of tamiya and the guy working there said it was pretty good.

Squadron is fairly crappy. For one it is not chemically cured, but cured by evaporation. So the stuff shrinks, and continually shrinks possibly ruining an excellent paint job. Its also very chalky. Not to mention it has toluene in it, which can be lethal.

g00eY
07-28-2004, 03:11 PM
i found some bondo filler putty stuff at wal-mart(orange and white tube) and i was wondering if that would work?

mike@af
07-28-2004, 03:14 PM
i found some bondo filler putty stuff at wal-mart(orange and white tube) and i was wondering if that would work?

If its in a white Tube that is just the catalyst for the filler. I also reccomend against getting the glazing putty. Try looking for Bondo Plastic Filler if you need a cheaper material.

Murray Kish
07-28-2004, 06:49 PM
If you're talking about the 'glazing putty' then it's OK to use for 'thin' putty jobs. It's very similar to squadron green or white putty. I use it all the time and it dries really quick. Don't use it for anywhere you need to build-up filler though, because it will shrink over time. If you're planning to sculpt body pieces out of it, then use epoxy putty instead.

Murray

Add your comment to this topic!