Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump...

1BADCJ8
07-27-2004, 03:38 PM
I have an '00 Chevy Crew Cab with the 7.4L/454. It has an intank fuel pump that just went out. I want to go to an inline extenal fuel pump on it.

Any one have experiance with this? If so which pump works and works well?

Thanks for your input.

Pamsdad
07-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey Danno

I don't think this will be as easy as you think.

You will have to keep the pick-up in the fuel tank at the same level. Somehow remove the existing pump for restriction purposes, yet put something in its place. Then you will have to mount the new in-line pump as close to the tank as possible. These pumps are made to PUSH, not PULL. Lastly, you new pump is going to have to siphon fuel from the tank which probably isn't the best idea. You might be better off removing the tank, and then welding in a SUMP similar to a Drag-Race application. Then put an outlet from there to feed your pump.

Maybe that factory fuel pump/sender isn't so bad after all...

1BADCJ8
07-31-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah it would seem from what you are saying it best to just replace the stock unit. Problem there is that thing is extreamly expensive.

When I put the 4.0L in my Scrambler I went with an inline fuel pump and didnt remove anything from the tank just put it inline powered it up connected the fuel lines and have never had a problem.

Any way thanks for your input and if you have any more or any one does I sure would appriciate it.

Thanks folks... a bunch.
--------------------------------------------------------------

As well I have looked all over the net for the required fuel pressure for my truck. Billy or any one else know what it is and where can I find that? EFI - MPI- Fuel Pressure for Chevy ect.. ... none of those locate it.

chebby uno ton
08-28-2004, 01:02 AM
New intank gm fuel pumps suck-$400+. I've seen, been victim of, and heard about. Your tank is plastic on the new truck?

Add your comment to this topic!