Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing Sub Panel

mother_russia
07-26-2004, 05:38 PM
I am going to basically install an entire new audio system in the z and am now wondering about the sub setup. Should I just put a set of 12's in the hatch area or should i replace my base model plastic panels (the ones behind the seats) with sub panels (the ones with the woofer opening). I believe that that opening may only be on the driver's side, so i may have to settle for a single sub. I am unsure though, what do you all think?

mother_russia
07-26-2004, 05:42 PM
ok, i feel stupid, i forgot about the storage compartment behind the passenger side. Duh.

350G
07-26-2004, 05:48 PM
I have the setup you're referring to . . . what we did was hollow out both areas (easy to do) and made custom plates to hold the subs after we sealed the interior cavities with dynamat and expanding foam. If I were to do it all over again, I would just create two custom enclosures for both areas. That way, you don't have to worry about any air leaks (I had one at first, but we fixed it) and the box volume would be perfect. If you don't go custom enclosures, get 2 tens that need over one cubic foot of space. Anything less will not really like the large, free air like, enclosure (creates boomy bass).

mother_russia
07-26-2004, 06:51 PM
well, i am thinking i would like to keep all the space i can for storage. so i would prefer to keep the trunk area clear. on the passenger side, is that convenient substitute for a glove compartment. i guess i would like to keep that too. so i really can only install one sub, i think. am i sacrificing a lot of boom?

mother_russia
07-27-2004, 09:25 AM
thanks for the message 350G. i am most likely going to place the subs behind the seats in the hatch area. oh well, there's still a small trunk area.

350G
07-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Read my PM: daddy's creating a false floor in the spare tire area to house 4-10s, maybe 3-12s. . . Good luck :D

Add your comment to this topic!