Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

heads on a d16 engine

Rizmo
07-26-2004, 10:34 AM
what's up guys I'm new to this thread and looking for some advice on the following.

I have a stock d16 motor in my 98 civic LX. It's a 1.6L motor, I have a CAI and full cat back exhaust done. As far as the engine goes that is about it. I was looking to put an LS head on the motor as per advice from a friend. are there any better choices out there? and what are the performance gains I will see, and also are there other modifications I should do to make sure it will run right (I will be changing the headgasket obviously, but outside of that)? and are there any problems I might encounter doing this? thanks in advance for the help guys.

CivicSpoon
07-26-2004, 12:13 PM
you can't but the LS (b18b) head on a d16 motor it won't fit. They are in different family of motors; B vs D. You can only put a D-series head onto a D-series block. The best heads to use are the d16z6 or the d16y8; both vtec heads and should put you around 125hp. And most people with B-series motors use the LS block and get a vtec B-series head (b16a, b16b, b18c1, b18c5) put together. There is a swap guide at the top of the JDM Motor page, read thru that to help you decide what is better for you to do.

snowman2005
07-26-2004, 04:04 PM
z6 has the best flow but the y8 has a better shaped combustion chamber than the z6. doing a head swap is a good power adder for enignes without vtec

Rizmo
07-27-2004, 08:13 AM
thanks a lot for your help guys. I thought it wouldn't fit yet my friend was set on the fact that it would. Now which head would be my best bet the z6 or the y8? I'm leaning toward the y8 since the combustion chamber is more properly shaped, is this a good move?

Rizmo
07-27-2004, 09:35 AM
a few more questions guys:
if I do the head swap I have to change the ECU is that correct? And if so is this a difficult task (I'm better with mechanics the computer stuff adn electronics)?
Now is it also possible to just change the physical head and not touch the computer or anything else and will that give me any gains? I also know that VTEC motors have extra oil lines to the block b/c of the high RPM levels reachable. Do I have to do any modifications for that also or will the engine be fine with the normal swap?

civ92hatch
07-30-2004, 03:36 PM
hey man, i have a d16z6 for sale. pm me!

itechengineers
08-02-2004, 03:53 AM
hey hey hey, just to clarify, i've heard and read somewhere that you can put a DOHC head (i forgot which one) on a d15a3 (si 87 rex block?) block. I think it was a d series ZC head on a D series block = so yes, you cant mix the B and D. = i could be wrong beacause i've never seem it done in person, but i;ve heard of people who believe!

jwjknorr
08-04-2004, 07:56 PM
the dual zc is a d series head buts its crap

Add your comment to this topic!