2002 Maxima CD PLayer Problem

jamesb80
07-26-2004, 10:22 AM
I have a 2002 Maxima w/ 37k miles. The CD player is not working. It will not accept a cd and gives me an error (I think it said error F6). The dealer says since it's beyond the 36k mile warranty, it will cost $1,200 to replace the unit. Anyone have any ideas what I can do? No way would I pay that when I can pop in a unit for far less.
Jim

Swonder67
07-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Do you have the BOSE system?

jamesb80
07-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Do you have the BOSE system?

No, this is the regular system.

THT
07-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Have you tried cleaning it? This one may be a long shot but try reseting your ECU by disconnecting the battery. Maybe the unit just needs a kick to the pants. And if all else fails, I've got a nice new MP3 deck that I can sell you for cheap.

~THT

Swonder67
07-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Oh... and the dealer wanted to charge you WHAT for a new unit??? If you wanted to stay stock, I'd look for one on ebay and just install it. BTW, were they charging you 1200 including installation? or just the unit? If its for both, ask them how much just the head unit costs.

jamesb80
07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Oh... and the dealer wanted to charge you WHAT for a new unit??? If you wanted to stay stock, I'd look for one on ebay and just install it. BTW, were they charging you 1200 including installation? or just the unit? If its for both, ask them how much just the head unit costs.

I've talked to 2 different dealers. Both say that they no longer repair radios since it's easier to replace the unit (especially if under warranty). In my case, I missed the warranty period by 1k miles. I even tried pleading my case to Nissan to no avail.

I'll try the recommendations above - hopefully something works. Otherwise I have no intentions of replacing the unit with another from Nissan. I'll simply buy a Kenwood or something.
Thanks

Nismo-Dreamer
07-27-2004, 04:17 AM
Hey THT how much on you talking about on a MP3 Player? Also, what brand?

E. C. Weaver
07-27-2004, 07:11 AM
I have a 2002 Maxima w/ 37k miles. The CD player is not working. It will not accept a cd and gives me an error (I think it said error F6). The dealer says since it's beyond the 36k mile warranty, it will cost $1,200 to replace the unit. Anyone have any ideas what I can do? No way would I pay that when I can pop in a unit for far less.
Jim

If all else fails, try www.carstereohelp.com. They specialize in Bose systems, but they also repair all other factory installed automotive stereo systems. They advertise that if you send the unit to them, they will repair and recondition the entire unit for less then $200.00, and guarantee it for 12 months.In my view, that sure beats buying a new unit. Good luck.-E.C.Weaver

THT
07-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Pioneer DEH-P4600MP

50w x 4
MP3/WMA playback w/ ID3 tag support
Remote
Dual output
Fold down, detachable face
Brand new, never been installed/used
$165 plus shipping

~THT

Add your comment to this topic!