Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ram 2500 4x4 transmisson acting up

RCpilot
07-25-2004, 05:15 PM
My '99 2500 Quad 4x4 w/ Cummins 5.9 has about 107K on it, I know, hi milages. I use it to pull a 8500 # fifth wheel about 4 -6 times a year. Average is 300-600 miles per trip. Other than that, I drive it to work once or twice a week. There is something going on with the transmission. When I started back home from work one day last week, it seemed that the transmission would not shift out of 1st gear(I think it is 1st). Under normal conditions, it would go to second at about 15mph and so on. Not so on that day though. I have not heard any unusual noises or bangs or the like. Just wants to stay in 1st gear, reverse seems to be acting like it should. It was serviced awhile back, probably needs it now, but I wouldn't think that could be the cause of it. I thought it may be a vacuum leak or something else that would have failed so a selenoid or something would not actuate,but I could not locate any leaks. No loose connections that I could find. Four wheel drive seems to be okay, at least it will engage, haven't ran it up though. I am hoping some one out there has had a similiar problem, and found a solution, short of a rebuild and all of the money involved, that I would rather spend traveling. You expertise is welcomed. thanks

Add your comment to this topic!