Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlights on and burnt smell

alwayspoor
07-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Hi, yesterday I got home and an hour later found the headlights on (not switch) and there was a burning smell. I checked the fuses and all seemed ok. I disconnected the battery. Where do I look first?

BleedDodge
07-25-2004, 01:34 PM
A similar thing happened to me. I shut my truck off on the street in the daytime, and started walking. I turned around and I saw the lights were on, which was odd since I would never have turned them on, it was like 2:00 in the afternoon. All switches were off, and I even tried stepping on the parking brake to kill the lights, but they stayed on. My buddy showed me the plug you have to unplug when this happens, it's on the driver's side inner fender under the hood, behind the battery. It's a plug all by itself, easy to spot, and easy to unplug. If you can't figure out which one it is, just keep pulling plugs until the lights go out.

alwayspoor
07-25-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks I will try that

alwayspoor
07-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks im going to check it out right away

tman
07-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Its a $90 dollar part from the dealer, It went wrong on my dodge. It occurs because corrosion occurs on the contacts, and shorts out. I'd reccomend cleaning the plug before reinstalling it. Be careful if you've been driving just before working on it, it's gonna be uber hot.

darncoldout
05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Just curious as to how your headlight issue turned out. I'm having similar issues with mine. 99 Dodge 2500. as far as I can tell it's neither the fuse or the relay, any other suggestions? what "plug" was the problem? any response would be great!

Add your comment to this topic!