Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cleaning models?

Spitfire7
07-25-2004, 05:25 AM
I have quite a few finished models sat on my shelf now which are really dusty and my parents keep asking me to clean them. Problem is i dont want to knock off any aerials or mirrors or tear any decals while doing this. Anyone know a good way i can remove the dust without damaging the cars?

kt100
07-25-2004, 06:01 AM
get a wide soft bristle paint brush( brand new and clean would be best) Remove a majourity of the dust and then rinse the brush in hot or cold water to remove the dust from the brush. Leave the brush to dry and then contiue on or maybe you could consider investing in a top quality display cabinet.

supratuner
07-25-2004, 07:05 AM
that upabove

or, just take a papertowl or 2, wad them up, get them wet, then squeez most the water out of it, and wipe that over your models, if u dont get the hard to get places, then id use the brush like up above
i use that a lot, and it does work cuz thats how i clean my models after all the sandingbefore painting

SupaMan89T
07-25-2004, 07:07 AM
i use like make up brushes like small ones and big ones and they are like really soft they work well but you should cover then with something tisk tisk always take care of your models :)

Vric
07-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Big brush, small coton and some wax :D

and try to keep them out of the dust (closed)

Murray Kish
07-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Firstly, if you wax your models, it will keep down the dust a bit (has a hard time sticking to the surface.) Second, as mentioned above, I use a make-up brush to dust them off. Try to dust them every couple of weeks and they'll stay looking good. If you let the dust pile up for months, it will start to form a hard/tough film on the surface and be more difficult to get off. A quick dusting with a make-up brush every couple of weeks will keep them in good shape.

Murray

mike@af
07-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Um, I use a blow gun and a compressor.

JTRACING
07-25-2004, 03:27 PM
i agree with Mike, air works great, you can just use your airbrush .

the best way tho is to prevent dust in the first place, invest in a nice glass case

Mainomega
07-26-2004, 04:03 PM
I use my airbrush and then a soft makeup brush to reach deep spots.

StephenDeli
07-26-2004, 06:28 PM
You can put them in the boxes they come in to keep dust off.

Mainomega
07-26-2004, 07:41 PM
You can put them in the boxes they come in to keep dust off.

How would you see them ?

Biting_Point
07-27-2004, 09:43 AM
if you are displaying them in a cupboard.. try puting a small glass of plain water inside with your models.. the water will help to reduce the dust..

Add your comment to this topic!