Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

low input high input

kenwood guy
07-24-2004, 06:29 PM
I have a question about amps and mid and high range speakers can you connect them to the low input through rca's on the amp with i think is only used for low range(woofers) if not how do you connect the speakers to the high input I did not install my head unit so im thinking there is a harness that goes to the high input which go to the speakers then goes to the headunit I Think??? can someone inform me on the high input terminal on how it works

Thanx

Haibane
07-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Could be wrong, but high input is something else, rcas are low input?

Navy I.C.
07-24-2004, 11:21 PM
high input means high voltage input, and low input mean low voltage input.
you get a high input from using your HU's speaker level output to feed a signal to your amp. this voltage varies w/freq and volume, but usually hoover around 8 volts.
you get a low input by using your HU's RCA level outputs to feed a signal to your amp. this voltage is usually a set amount determined by the manufacture. it usually varies anywhere between 200mv - 8 volts.

kenwood guy
07-24-2004, 11:41 PM
ok so say I get new speakers for my car along with a after market head unit and I want to hook the speakers up to my amp do I conect them to the high input or low input??

sr20de4evr
07-25-2004, 11:06 AM
ok so say I get new speakers for my car along with a after market head unit and I want to hook the speakers up to my amp do I conect them to the high input or low input??

uh, if you're connecting speakers to the amp, you want to connect them to the OUTPUT, not the input.

aznxthuggie
07-25-2004, 02:04 PM
the high level input is usually a harness that plugs into your amp.. your supposed to directly wire from the head unit to the amp.. and then to the speakers.. but yes its ok to use the RCA's for speakers.. usually depending on the amp

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/236/x236t282-i.jpeg

i think he means like that.. on the right there are the speaker level inputs or high level inputs.. they can only be used forspeakers reguardless of a lpf or anything.. trust me.. i messed up my jbl subwoofers that way hah.. and the "low level" are the rcas.. but it should be ok.. you can either turn it to high pass or all pass and it'll play normally.. you shouldn turn it to low pass if ur using rca's... and your powering speakers

Navy I.C.
07-25-2004, 03:37 PM
you plug the rca output from your new HU to the rca input on your amp. then you connect the speaker level output from your amp to your speakers. the alternative, (if you have a high level input), is to connect the speaker level output from your new HU to your amp's high input. the high level input should only be used when you don't have rca outputs on your HU, because line level signals are cleaner than speaker level at all volumes, and LOC's is another processing ckt in your signal flow.

kenwood guy
07-25-2004, 05:54 PM
thanx all

Add your comment to this topic!