Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering Leak?

tomcat0818
07-24-2004, 04:20 PM
98 Chevy C/K WorkTruck, vortec v6 (4.3L).

I've got a fluid leak (looks like power steering fluid and the reservoir is low). Trying to track down the source of the leak from the underside and it looks as if it's coming from the water pump area (I believe the power steering pump to be a bit lower than the water pump area).

I would think that if my water pump were leaking then I'd be seeing engine coolant. Am I off-base here? Has anyone seen power steering fluid leaking from this area as opposed to the more obvious area of the steering pump or the pressure lines?

Fluid is pinkish in color (not rust) and the power steering fluid is low in the reservoir. Appreciate any anecdotes on this one. Thanks - T..

Partsguy23
07-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Not posotive, but I believe in the 96 98 area Chevrolet went to using an Antifreeze called Dex-cool. It is pink in color, not green like the old stuff. Worth a shot I reckon.

tomcat0818
07-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Well that would make sense! Just checked coolant level (hadn't been having any engine overheating) and it's low as well (no coolant visible, just the core). Looks like a waterpump issue. Thanks much for the info! T..

Add your comment to this topic!