Page updated on 10-23-2017

How to replace rear shocks on 95 LeSabre???

5aclockshadow
07-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Looks like we can't get to the top of the rear shocks because the rear deck is covering the opening.

Any tips on how to replace the rear shocks???

Thanks.

tman
07-24-2004, 06:07 PM
pull the paneling off from inside the trunk, you should be able to access the bolts from there.

Jed Rule
07-24-2004, 07:12 PM
You can also remove the rear seat back.

5aclockshadow
07-24-2004, 09:18 PM
You can also remove the rear seat back.

We tried both entry from the trunk and removing the back seat. We could not get a wrenh on the center nut for the shock. What size is it? Does it require a special tool?

tman
07-25-2004, 12:07 AM
I can't imagine it being anything other than a normal metric socket.

David1966
07-31-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi,

You may have already figured this out, but I replaced the rear struts on a 94 Lesabre yesterday. One of the mounting nuts you can get to from the trunk, but we had to remove the rear seat in order to get to two access holes in the rear deck for the other two nuts. You have to remove the strut mount along with the strut and transfer the old strut mount off the car(assuming it's still in good condition) to the new strut. Then you put the whole assembly back in. This was definitely a two person job for the amateur mechanic.

Also, watch out for razor sharp metal edges in the trunk!!!

I used KYB struts, which ride MUCH better than the originals. Of course, the originals were shot, but I think the KYBs are probably much stiffer.

David

Add your comment to this topic!