Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Rodeo CEL and Rough Idle

degobah
07-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi, I'm new here. Just bought a 2000 Rodeo LS with 52k on it from Carmax. Been great, I love the car - I've put 2k miles on it so far. But JUST today, I drove to my girlfriends house and at a stop light, I felt a rough idle kick in - parked the car and noticed a strange low volume high pitched noise from the engine.
About 5 hours later, drove home. Check Engine Light came on. The rough idle is still there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I was low on gas, but I filled up, turned the cap at least 6 clicks, etc. Thought maybe I got a batch of bad gas???

Any advice, suggestions, tips about this car would be great.

Many thanks,

Degobah

degobah
07-24-2004, 06:20 AM
Ok. Check engine still on this morning. Rough engine idle. And feels I've lost power.
Also, when foot off the gas pedal, I slow down alot....not wind resistance, almost like the brakes are slightly applied.

This is pissing me off. I just bought this damn thing, and it was running like a dream.

Dober89
07-24-2004, 07:42 AM
This could very well be your intake manifold gaskets. The same problem happened to me but mine would stall once in a while too.

Have the code pulled or take it in to have a look because its most like the gasket.

degobah
07-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply.

If it IS the Intake Manifold Gaskets, what kinda repair am I looking at. Is this major or something I can get taken care of rather easily?

Taken it into the shop right when I get off work....but if this is gonna break me, I may have to wait. Is it bad to continue driving it with this potential problem?

Thanks!

degobah
07-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Bumpity bump....if any of you have had intake manifold gasket replaced, how much did it cost? I don't wanna get ripped off and I'm taking it to the shop in 2 hours.

Dober89
07-24-2004, 12:19 PM
When I had mine replaced it cost me $250 Canadian. I guess you can continue driving the vehicle but its hard on it when it runs bad and always stalls. Plus because there is a leak after the air filter, theres also a chance you could suck dirt or something like that into the engine and possibly harm it.

surferfletch
07-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Lots of info on this common problem. Who has the link?

rheteric
07-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Linky: http://www.geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm#faq5

degobah
07-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Mechanic just called, the code was for the EGR valve. Said it was stuck open, causing a big vacuum leak, etc. Said it would cause similar symptoms of a broken intake manifold gasket....well he said he was 99.9% sure this is the problem.

What you think?

rheteric
07-26-2004, 12:10 PM
EGR... very likely.... will also make the engine run lean/rough. I had to clean mine recently too, although mine was stuck in the closed position, which was much more tolerable than the alternative. You can fix it yourself, refer to that FAQ link I just left above.

degobah
07-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Back to it's peppy old self. Thanks for the replies.
Much appreciated.

2eyefishclaw
07-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Just Curious Did It Get Replacerd Or Cleaned

degobah
07-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Replaced.

And I'm sure it was way overpriced...

Dober89
07-26-2004, 08:18 PM
So it was the EGR and not the gaskets??

degobah
07-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Mechanic replaced the EGR valve. Cleared the codes.
Runs smooth again.
There were 2 codes...1 for egr, and 1 for IO timing or something.....mechanic said the egr would clear the problem...

amigo-2k
07-26-2004, 11:29 PM
fyi: 99% of the time the EGR only needs to be cleaned (1-3 bucks for a can of carb cleaner), and not replaced.
-Ryan

desmarkus
07-27-2004, 01:02 PM
what are symtoms of an EGR being stuck Closed?

somebody said that the symtoms are more tolerable

rheteric
07-27-2004, 06:10 PM
The only symptoms I encountered with the EGR stuck in the closed position was the Check Engine Light. I got it read and that was the only thing that tipped me off to the EGR. The code translated was something like "EGR insufficient flow". With it closed it appears to do nothing to cripple the engine, it just might screw with the emissions and perhaps lower fuel mileage.

desmarkus
07-28-2004, 08:12 AM
oh ... I'm having an rough idle issue. I've checked everything, I changed my EGR a while ago in attempt to cure the problem and was wondering if that could be the cause. guess not.

refer to my thread ....http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260443

tarcher1216
10-07-2004, 10:42 AM
The only symptoms I encountered with the EGR stuck in the closed position was the Check Engine Light. I got it read and that was the only thing that tipped me off to the EGR. The code translated was something like "EGR insufficient flow". With it closed it appears to do nothing to cripple the engine, it just might screw with the emissions and perhaps lower fuel mileage.

I'm having the very same problem however they took it (EGR Valve)off last night and said they cleaned it . But this moring the light came back on. I hope a new part will fix the problem. The warrenty just expired about 300 miles ago Go figure!! I don't want to spend the money on new part if I don't have to. Maybe they didn't clean it correctly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks????

2eyefishclaw
10-07-2004, 06:05 PM
why why why? DO NOT LET THESE CLOWNS REPLACE YOUR EGR VALVES THEY NEED CLEANING WHICH IS A WHOLE LOT CHEAPER

tarcher1216
10-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Hello All... As promised... I thought I had the Check Engine light problem fixed but I didn't I clean the entire system and yes even the EGR valve and it still gave a code of 401. Well I started to think it might be a false reading until I asked the Auto Zone store to check the code again. Same thing.

I broke down and purchased the only EGR valve for miles around and installed it.

However a friend of mine suggested that I put a stainless steel screen over the opening on the EGR valve. I did this and installed with a new gasket.

I took a trip to Michigan over the weekend, about 430 miles round trip. NOT one problem. Except that the gas mileage sucked. about 17 MPG on the highway. I drove above speed limits but not by much. I stayed with the traffic flow. Anyway I do feel the problem is fixed.

Thanks to all that gave some input. It really helped.

rodeo02
10-11-2004, 10:56 AM
a friend of mine suggested that I put a stainless steel screen over the opening on the EGR valve. I did this and installed with a new gasket...
Keep in mind you will have to keep that screen cleaned. It will act as a filter & plug with carbon.
G/luck
Joel

tarcher1216
10-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Yes you are correct Since the EGR valve is very easy to get to I will check evertime I change the oil. Every 3,000 miles seems to be good. what do you think?

sbendigo
10-14-2004, 10:17 AM
how much was it? is it something you can do yourself?

tarcher1216
10-14-2004, 10:44 AM
how much was it? is it something you can do yourself?

The screen was about 1.00 and the gasket came with the EGR valve. The valve itself was $120.00 . The service dept at the local Isuzu dealership which is so busy said that they could not get to my vehicle for about 1 week. I live in Indiana and there are only 3 Isuzu dealerships in the state. The chevrolet dealership refused to even talk about my problem. They said they were not taking anymore repair work on Isuzu What the hell is going on?

Anyway I fixed it myself and saved about $200 in labor charges.

The EGR valve is located on top of the engine towards the firewall behind and to the left of the carb. Only 2 bolts and a plug hold it in place. Very simple to replace. Glad I did my research before forking out that extra money for labor. Expensive part but very simple to fix if cleaning doesn't take care of it. In my case I tried to clean it twice and I found that the pintle on the valve itself was the problem so replacing the part was justified in my mind.

Add your comment to this topic!