is this gona mess up my car?

koreanspeed
07-23-2004, 02:37 PM
i have an automatic, if i put it in nuetrel and rev the engine then drop it in drive (i dont need 2 step on the brake 2 switch gears) will that srew up my car? :icon16:

CassiesMan
07-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Not right away, but it will put undue wear and tear on the tranny.

Musashi3000GT
07-23-2004, 02:46 PM
hell yes it'll mess up your car. I was just discussing this in the 3000GT forum. thats called a neutral drop, it will kill any automatic tranny. I blew my first car like that. my wife also messed up her car like that. In fact it is so effective that I told my sister to race like that on her b/f's car and guess what........yup, two months later its in the shop getting a new tranny. hell its so well proven that this will absolutely kill your transmission that the editors or Versus magazine wrote it into a side note in the Grand Turismo 3 strategy guide.

koreanspeed
07-23-2004, 02:57 PM
alright thanx, its a good thing i asked. and on this website about drifting it said if u have fwd u can 'drift' and that u have 2 step on the gas and brake at the same time, i have front brakes wouldent that mess up my car?

91300zxtt
07-23-2004, 03:00 PM
is it DRIFTING.COM?

koreanspeed
07-23-2004, 03:06 PM
idk i 4get, it might b

91300zxtt
07-23-2004, 03:10 PM
if its drifting .com its all morons. ricers galore

RicR_wana_B
07-23-2004, 03:13 PM
the best way to launch an automatic car is to put it in the lowest gear, hold the brake down hard and hit the gas, the car will move slightly but not much. then when it comes time, release the brake and smash down the gas... it also works if u just leave it in the drive gear... AND do not under any circumstance do a neutral drop. its terrrrible for your car.

CassiesMan
07-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Only if you do it all the time. I do it whenever I have to drive the Rav, and I've had that car for three years, and no problems yet. Holding the brakes and the gas at the same time can hurt your brakes. Best way to launch in an auto is to put it into low gear, then slam down on the gas when the light goes green, then "shift" up as you accelerate, and turn off O/D if you have it.

koreanspeed
07-23-2004, 03:33 PM
y turn off o/d

CassiesMan
07-23-2004, 03:56 PM
You'll rev slightly higher with O/D off.

LandoAWD
07-23-2004, 03:59 PM
You'll rev slightly higher with O/D off.
:uhoh:

CassiesMan
07-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Well you will. Even if it is only by a few hundred ROM.

BeEfCaKe
07-23-2004, 05:29 PM
WIth OD off, only the last gear will rev higher.. nothing special really, if you have a 4 speed auto, then it'll just stay in the 3rd gear with OD off. OD gear ratio is below 1, it is designed for highway cruising.

turbo2nr
07-23-2004, 06:42 PM
best way to launch your auto put it into low, hold the breaks with one foot and the gass with the other and rev the car to the tourk convorters limit around 2000-2500 on most autos then let off the break and gass it.. safest and easyest was to launch a auto..

-The Stig-
07-23-2004, 07:39 PM
best way to launch your auto put it into low, hold the breaks with one foot and the gass with the other and rev the car to the tourk convorters limit around 2000-2500 on most autos then let off the break and gass it.. safest and easyest was to launch a auto..

RicR_wana_B already covered that like 4 posts before you... :p

RicR_wana_B
07-23-2004, 10:33 PM
RicR_wana_B already covered that like 4 posts before you... :p

lol i was thinkin the same thing...

PearlGT
07-23-2004, 11:49 PM
i N dropped on my 3000 a couple times once.... oh it was all well and good and a somewhat nice feeling to have the tires screech a little but i could really feel that kind of thing hurt the transmission and figured twice was enough for this cars lifetime. all us autos should just stick to brake launching for now

-Jayson-
07-24-2004, 01:12 AM
Only if you do it all the time. I do it whenever I have to drive the Rav, and I've had that car for three years, and no problems yet. Holding the brakes and the gas at the same time can hurt your brakes. Best way to launch in an auto is to put it into low gear, then slam down on the gas when the light goes green, then "shift" up as you accelerate, and turn off O/D if you have it.

Neutral slams do hurt your trans, you prolly just havent noticed it. Take it to the track, ill bet it wont be running to well there. And shifting an auto like you said is pretty dumb. Putting in into first or lowest gear means that the trans wont go any higher than 1st, put it into 2nd and it wont go any higher than 2nd, you DONT control the shift points. You can hit the rev limiter and then push it up a gear, that will make it change gears, but by then youve already passed your peak HP and TQ RPM area making it slow and hurting the engine by redlining. Automatic transmissions are programed by the designers to shift at the engines optimal power peak when at full excelleration. The best way to race an auto is peddle to the metal and in D. You can hold the brake and get it up to about 2K RPMS then releaset the brake and push harder on the gas to launch, but thats it. It wont do much if any damage to the brakes, but if you get the RPMS up to high and hold the brake to long you can heat up the torque converter pretty bad and cause damage their.

igota20hpweedeater
07-24-2004, 01:18 AM
man....that powerbraking wears on your brakes though.
sorry jayson i didnt read your post....sorry i mentioned the wear on your brakes again.

CassiesMan
07-24-2004, 02:29 AM
Ummm...no, I dont think I'll be taking my old Rav4 to the track to test the tranny...and It can still beat my buddies Volvo after three years, 50k miles, and a number of neutral drops. And I always beat him using the shifting method I said to use.

-The Stig-
07-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Ummm...no, I dont think I'll be taking my old Rav4 to the track to test the tranny...and It can still beat my buddies Volvo after three years, 50k miles, and a number of neutral drops. And I always beat him using the shifting method I said to use.

It's still bad for the tranny, regardless how many times you do it. Period.

07-24-2004, 12:06 PM
It's still bad for the tranny, regardless how many times you do it. Period.

Yes, I learned that the hardway...Of course, when you're 16 you'll do whatever. The fact that taurus trannys suck to begin with didn't help either.

duplox
07-25-2004, 01:26 AM
not only is it bad for your trans, but your engine/driveshaft/axle(s)... I did it in an F-150, and although the tranny held up, the axle housings broke their welds and the center section spun upwards. Of course the driveshaft was a pretzel. The trans survived... the rest of the driveline didnt.

Z_Fanatic
07-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Actually it happend to me a few times. First couple of times, it gave a nice little tire squeek. This is probably because I had my foot pressed on the brake, shifted to drive and immediately pressed the gas to above 2000 rpm, before the car shifted to first gear or held the brake too long.

And then twice, accidentally, I shifted from neutral to drive without pressing on the brake. And I did it a little too soon, before the car realized it's time to shift to first gear. Even if you drop it from a neutral to drive without pressing the brake, it's fine as long as you give a 2 secs to roll without pressing the gas. My auto is a FWD, so anyway as I did gassed it too soon, there was a nice jolt both times. It felt like the front axle was being yanked off and something blew up. And there was shrieking noise inside, instead of the usual nice tire squeel.

The tranny is still fine and smooth so far, talk about German engineering on a Mexican assembly plant.

darkjedi04
07-25-2004, 03:05 AM
Moral of the story is, get a stick, there more fun and can do a lot more stuff than an automatic, including winning.

91300zxtt
07-25-2004, 03:15 AM
thats all opinion on which is more fun, so more stuff, and winning

Z_Fanatic
07-25-2004, 03:36 AM
yeah definitely, manual is the way to go.

Add your comment to this topic!