98 GMC Jimmy: Noise from front end

DZNZ
07-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Okay -- I have read a lot of posts here about various noises coming from the front end of Jimmy's. Here is my particlar noise:

Once in a while, a clunking noise (multiple/slow)will come from the axil/tire on the passengers side. Also, when I turn the wheel to the left (after the truck has been sitting awhile) and begin to move, a super loud clunk (one/rapid) will come from the axil/tire on the driver's side. It is almost as if something breaks free that was stuck -- and it is all of a sudden.

I checked the ball joints and there is no play -- so I know that's not it. So, I am asking the experts here: what else do you think it could be? Should I be worried?

Thanks.

DZNZ

xokayxo
07-22-2004, 09:06 PM
I've got the same problems, my p-side clunking is only (or worst) when I hit potholes or bumps in the road and when I turn my wheel full left or right I get that clunking as well. What year is yours?

DZNZ
07-26-2004, 08:34 AM
98 -- how about yours?

DZNZ
07-26-2004, 08:35 AM
C'mon experts -- we got two people here who need help!

DZNZ

Travinder
08-02-2004, 06:59 PM
I aswell have a clunking sound in the front end. Normal happens when going over a bump while turning to the passenger side. Does anyone know what causes this?

Travis

knucklebuster2
08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Does it only clunk once, or is the clunk/click sensitive to speed? ( Does it click faster when you accelerate?) If it does, I would say it is the axle.
If not, I would check the control arm bushings, tie rods and ball joints. Some of you said you checked this already, so you car rule this out. I have also run into the brake pads and or caliper shifting when hitting the brakes which would cause a clunk. Check the caliper hardware and brake pad anti rattle clips. Usually when you make a turn, you tend to tap on the brakes lightly....this may be it. Good luck.

Path2Insanity
08-15-2004, 10:36 PM
OK. (not a specalist). I changed the tie rods and ball joints and the problem is still there, I'v also done research like yourselfs. I know that if the front end is redone the problem is solved(but very costly), I found out that if it was the axle the sound might be more constant or a completely different sound(I listened to a car with axle problems).
So the only thing left was to check all rubber stops on sway bars and their fine. ANDDDDDDDDD sometime this month I'm going to see if R&S will install the bushings I ordered(and their performance). I will update the price and hopefully the answer to our problem. By the way the problem is getting worse, and now there is a rattle with bumps in the road.

hixie00
08-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Had same problem with my 98. Had to replace the spindle on the drivers side. Also all 4 ball joints were bad and tie rod ends. COSTLY fix. Looking at right around if done by self $600-$700. If done by professional (sticker shock) $1100-$1300. Was also instructed very common among this model.

kwtrux
09-19-2004, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=DZNZ]Okay -- I have read a lot of posts here about various noises coming from the front end of Jimmy's. Here is my particlar noise:

Once in a while, a clunking noise (multiple/slow)will come from the axil/tire on the passengers side. Also, when I turn the wheel to the left (after the truck has been sitting awhile) and begin to move, a super loud clunk (one/rapid) will come from the axil/tire on the driver's side. It is almost as if something breaks free that was stuck -- and it is all of a sudden.

I checked the ball joints and there is no play -- so I know that's not it. So, I am asking the experts here: what else do you think it could be? Should I be worried?

My 99 was doing the same thing- a heavy sound- rt. frt.finally, my wife says noise was awful- barely driveable. It was the right front spindle. This is a sealed-non-lube part. I can buy wholesale- got mine for 135.00
Yes, I would definitely get this looked at-Just do not not let them throw parts at it$$$$$ unless they have a real answer. hope this helps

DZNZ
09-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone.

Peace,

DZNZ

Alexxn 00 Si
10-01-2004, 11:48 AM
My 2000 was doing the same thing....? Last weekend I pulled both front tires, tightened both front shocks, both upper control arm bolts, and also both lower control arms bolts. On average I was able to crank a half turn on everything. SO FAR NO MORE NOISE !!

Fireplug
10-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Check sway bar bushings and loose shocks
How did you check the ball joints, where did you place the jack/ jack stands.
How does the front axle boots look a dry cv joint will sound like that
But on the 96 90% of noise in the front end is bad ball joints , worn bushings , loose mounts,busted sway bar links
Fireplug

BlazerLT
10-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Guys,

I found the fix.

Click here for it!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=302656

Add your comment to this topic!