Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Tahoe ABS

jjkorzon
07-21-2004, 01:57 PM
I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe with ABS problems. Not everytime but most of the time when I go to stop my abs kicks on. Does anyone have this problem or know what to do to fix it. I was coming down my driveway and didn't think I was going to stop.

Thanks.

tyrant33
07-21-2004, 09:35 PM
I have the same year/ same problem. I was told that the poor location of the ABS sensor is the cause of this. The water sits on the sensor and after a while rust builds up on the sensor causing the problem. I haven't tried cleaning it yet but it might help instead of replacing it.

CW_racefan
07-23-2004, 12:31 PM
VERY common problem. Its either the wheel speed sensors or the reluctor rings. There's a TSB out on it. If its still under warranty dealer will fix it, if not get a copy of the TSB (I don't have the number handy) from a dealer or Autozone.

D M T
07-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I have a 98' with the same problem.

Dumb question...what is a TSB? Is it an easy fix?

CW_racefan
07-23-2004, 04:13 PM
TSB - Technical Service Bulletin

These are issued by the manufacturer for common issues/problems and typically outline diagnostic and repair procedures for the specific problem. The problem is the full text is only available to dealers or for $$ to the public. You can find the numbers and a title at the NHTSA website by vehicle, but that really doesn't give you any info. You can, however, get copies of the text for free at most auto parts chains.

I don't have the text for this one (mine was under warranty), but it involves checking voltage outputs from the speed sensors. It may involve either replacing them if faulty, cleaning and using a grease kit from GM, or in my case, if the reluctor rings are bad, replacing them. On a 2001 replacing reluctor rings involves replacing the hubs. Someone more familiar with this particular problem may have better info. The was a GM tech on this board who had commented that he did several a week at his dealership.

Add your comment to this topic!