98 Grand Prix Power steering problems

milwaukeeguy
07-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Hello,

I need help/suggestions if anyone had similar problems. I have 98 Grand Prix GT. Since last week, I notice a strange problem while steering. Sometimes it offers resistance while steering to the right at lower speeds, especially while parking, or in the city. After I take 2 or 3 sharp right turns, the resistance seems to shift to the left, i.e. now, it will offer more resistance while turning left. This strange steering resistance keeps on switching randomly but stays mostly on the right. The suspicious thing is that, it all started happening right after I took the vehicle to the local dealership for my 100,000 mile maintenance (engine tuning, transmission service, tire rotation & oil change).

First I thought it could be the tire pressure. But, apparently it's not. So, I took it to the dealership again asking them if they inadvertently changed some settings that could have caused it. They diagnosed this problem as something wrong with the "Power Steering Gear". There was a recall on this assembly and was done on this car back in 2003. So, now they are saying that I need to replace this "Power Steering Gear". According to this dealership, the part itself costs $800. When you add labor & 4 wheel alignment, the total cost could be $1,300. This is too much than what I expected. I thought it was just a small problem, but apparently it's not.

I can certainly drive it the way it is. There not much problem driving on the highway as you don't have to turn much at that speed. But the dealership guy is saying that this is only going to get worse and eventually I will loose the power steering completely, meaning it will be very hard to steer.

Has anyone encountered this type of Power steering problem? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance! -D.

meyersjm7
07-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I agree that it is a steering gear problem & replacement will be neccasary but shop around a little bit.Check other places besides the dealerships.

carnutcass
07-21-2004, 02:03 PM
I'd get a second opinion.

empathydude
07-21-2004, 04:08 PM
I had that prob on my old gp and all I did was drain the ps fluid and refill and it helped a lot, Im not sayin that will fix it but it might buy you a little more time =p

wbs97gp
10-29-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm having the same problem with my 97 gt, and just go off the phone with the dealer, and they said to bring it down, as GM is actually has a program for this problem, but they said that they needed to run the VIN# thru to see if my car would qualify!

Will post my findings later, after I return from the dealership.

Good luck

wbs97gp
11-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Getting car back today.

Dealer ran VIN thru computer and found that repair was performed about a year ago under a GM program, and the car was having the same problem, so GM authorized the replacement of the entire rack.

I have good relations with the dealership that had this work approved, so I can't say what kind of results you will get from your area dealer, but it is worth a try.

Good luck.

richtazz
11-04-2004, 12:28 PM
follow wbs97's advice and check to see if your car is eligible for the recall. There was a problem in the lower pinion bearing that caused the exact symptoms you describe. Could be a free fix, check it out

93cobra
11-04-2004, 01:11 PM
It seems that any engineering problem that causes a safty concern the manufacturers have to recall. i.e. brake lites, brakes steering etc. If it isn't a safety issue i.e. intake gasket, etc. there is a time limit on the recall repair. I would suggest evryone take there car in and find out what has been done and what not.
My girlfriends 1996 XR-7 had an intake crack for her on her 4.6. Apperently all 4.6's will have this problem. They had a silent recall that she missed out on by a couple months. Before the recall ended the intake could be bought for almost 200 bucks less then after the recall ended. Lousy Ford putting the customer first, my ass, wanted to make up some of their loss and raped the people who didn't know it was a problem until smoke bellowed out from under their hood. I found at that ford knew about the problem along time and still continued to use the plastic intake after they knew for years. The fix is an updated plastic intake with a metal tube inserted in it instead of just plastic. No after market intakes for the poor owners.

Add your comment to this topic!