Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tacoma Leaf Spring Replacement?

windtzu
07-21-2004, 06:27 AM
I have a 98 Prerunner that is leaning slightly to one side - rear. I measured the clearance of the fender and the tire, and it is off anywhere between an inch to an inch and a half - depending on the relative surface level the truck was sitting on. I inspected the leafs and could find any cracks-breaks. Are they just worn on one side? I contacted the Toyota dealer for a price quote; Yikes! - 600.00 plus a side. I didn't have any luck finding anyone else (online) that had OEM replacement leafs. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

IC

Brian R.
07-21-2004, 09:54 PM
This suggestion is only half-serious...

You could take both sets of leafs off, carefully dissassemble them, and interchange every other leaf on either side and end up with similar spring rates on each side.

Stupid idea, I know...

OBATDDSD
07-22-2004, 09:52 PM
haven't had a problem with my 95 but its not uncommon. Try wheelersoffroad.com no sales tax. about 299.00 per side. good service.

heavydc2
08-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Try and find a place that does suspensions for trucks, I broke my leaf spring and found out toyota was 600 a side also, then went to another place and it was 600 for both sides... a much better deal.

gotmadD
10-04-2004, 08:38 PM
ARE U SURE U MEASURED FROM LEVEL GROUND(ALL 4 TIRES), and is it really uneven, or would u even notice if u sat in the truck and your body weight leveled it? 600 a side is way too much....a good spring shop can re-arch the spring or de arch the other 1....if u dont have access maybe u should think about a little lift if your gonna change a spring. aftermarket springs are way less, BUT REMEMBER - SHIPPING ON SPRINGS ISN'T CHEAP

SEAN_at_TLT
10-04-2004, 08:45 PM
I would suggest getting some Deaver springs, they are infinitely better than stock. Deaver's Tacoma bolt-in spring pack has 7 leafs instead of the factory 3 which provides for a way more progressive and smoother ride. They run about $450 a pair from Kartek (http://www.kartek.com). They do provide about 1.5" of lift so you might consider adding something up front to match that height.

If you have a business address they can ship to usually that will save $$$.

Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!