Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

BBS rims up front - how do they fit?

jreiter
07-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Fantastic choice of wheel sizes. Having 275 tires all the way around is something I'm considering as a future upgrade. However, how on Earth did you fit those BBS wheels up front without rubbing on anything? I see that you said you don't rub on the fender, but what about the suspension parts on the other side? Is there no rubbing at all? If not, that's fantastic!

I currently have the Nismo 18x9.5x30mm rims in the rear of my car, and I've been tossing around the idea of getting another pair of that same size for the front. (The normal fronts are 18x8.5x25mm.) If a 9.5x24mm fits perfectly, then I could scrounge up a 5mm or 6mm spacer to account for the 30mm offset.

flylwsi
07-24-2004, 02:17 PM
sport compact car covered the same thing on their project 350z...

and explained what they touched, what offset they used, etc...

it's a couple months, 6+ back...

or on their site

jreiter
07-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I did read that SCC article. However, the offsets and sizes used here are different than the SCC car. The SCC car uses 9.0" rims with an effective 30mm offset. This car here uses 9.5" rims with a 24mm offset. That would suggest that this car should actually have a tad bit *more* room on the inside, but it blows my mind that it doesn't rub on the fender, especially after lowering it. :)

flylwsi
07-26-2004, 11:25 AM
i don't think scc had issues with rubbing on the fender...

i'd like to see what this puppy rubs though, b/c with 9.5" wheels and a VERY close offset, i'd think it's rubbing on suspension parts...

but only at extremes...

igor, pics of the suspension and wheel/tire combo at full lock?

jreiter
07-26-2004, 03:43 PM
i don't think scc had issues with rubbing on the fender...
i'd like to see what this puppy rubs though, b/c with 9.5" wheels and a VERY close offset, i'd think it's rubbing on suspension parts...

SCC didn't have rubbing on the fender, but they *almost* rubbed on the suspension upright on the inside. One less millimeter of clearance would've rubbed. :) Here is a link to their pic:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0404scc_350z06_z.jpg

On the other hand, the AF project Z should actually have *more* clearance on the inside. As you can see in SCC's picture, their 9.0" rim isn't close to rubbing. (It's the tire that's close.) So even though AF's 9.5" rim is .25" wider on each side of the rim than SCC's rim, AF also pulled the wheel out 6mm more than SCC did (via a lower offset). 6mm is about .236", so that almost compensates for the wider rim. However, the rim wasn't the problem in the first place... it's the tire we have to watch out for. A 9.5" rim might make the tire's sidewall a tiny bit wider than the same tire on a 9.0" rim, but I think AF successfully compensated for that by using a 6mm smaller offset.

But aaaanyway... I'd also love to see some pics of how close the tires/rims get at extremes to both the fenders and suspension parts inside. :)

igor@af
07-28-2004, 05:32 PM
No fitment issues whatsoever even at full lock... don't think I have any pics right now of the close-up.

I love it!

I am pretty sure that someone had even put on 18x10 wheels up front without a problem.

Keep in mind my tires are 275/35/18, which is a pretty low profile.

jreiter
07-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Keep in mind my tires are 275/35/18, which is a pretty low profile.

Doh! I hadn't noticed that. Yeah, that would definitely help. That will reduce the outer diameter of the tire, which will give you more clearance. That diameter would be about 25.57", which is even shorter than the stock front tire diameter of about 26".

G35cTurbo
05-10-2005, 10:54 PM
you can have them rolled to help out a lil

Add your comment to this topic!