Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 doesnt stay warmed up.

SideShow Sean
07-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I have a 97 wrangler 4cyl. that doesnt like to warm up. When you start it up in the morning and start driving it will chug and lurch for about five seconds and then it will instantly drive normal. This wouldnt bother me if it only happened in the morning but every once in a while it will do it when the engine is still pretty warm. For example the other day I drove it for about 20 miles, took it home and parked it for an hour. When I started it up and pulled onto my street it chugged and lurched again for about five seconds before running smoothly. Ive even had this problem when i have been parked for even shorter periods of time. It only does this occasionally and i cant figure out what the problem is. I recently tuned it up (fuel system flushed and i replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires) so I know its not that. Also the weather out here is in the 80's so the engine should be staying pretty warm.

JDPascal
07-20-2004, 08:14 PM
sideshow

Sounds like a fuel problem. You say you flushed the fuel system....maybee the injectors are leaking down. Kinda flooding the engine so it takes a few seconds to clear its self.

what kind of reading do you get on the temp gauge?? should be warming up to a normal temp If it is running cool, prolly the t'stat is stuck open.

JD

fredjacksonsan
07-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Also check to see if the fuel line is touching/resting against anything that could be hot. You can get vaporized fuel in the lines, which will cause hard starting and an initial interruption of fuel flow.

Add your comment to this topic!