Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel relay question

my86lxi
01-30-2002, 07:03 PM
I have a 86 accord and here lataly it wont start every time, when I turn the key to on I can here the relay click and then the fuel pump humm and then the relay clicks again. but sometimes it dosnt humm and wont start, why isnt it humming?

fritz_269
01-30-2002, 08:10 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm.... ;)

Quite probably your fuel pump is dying. They often go out in a slow and painful way. You need to get it checked out by a qualified mechanic.

Good luck. :cool:

my86lxi
01-30-2002, 08:17 PM
I couldnt just get in the trunk and change it myselfe? I changed the head gasket, so hopefully I could change a fuel pump. Or do you mean there could be another problem

fritz_269
01-31-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by my86lxi
I couldnt just get in the trunk and change it myselfe? I changed the head gasket, so hopefully I could change a fuel pump. Or do you mean there could be another problem
I mean there could be another problem. Could be the relay or the ECU or even the wiring harness.

BTW, is the ECU throwing a code?

I'm not sure how difficult it is to change your particular fuel pump - some of them are a real bitch - you might ask around in the accord forum. And it's always a little dangerous working with exposed gasoline like that.
:cool:

Add your comment to this topic!