Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Exhaust Actuator

joemathews
07-20-2004, 01:56 AM
One of my buddies was telling me I should get some kind of exhaust actuator--a downpipe that has a panel that switches from releasing the exhaust right after the downpipe when it is open, to releasing it fully down to the muffler when it is closed. Apparently it is controlled by a cockpit switch. Anyone know anything about this, and how it performs as opposed to a full, full time exhaust?

The idea of being able to switch from quiet stock muffler to just a downpipe is very appealing ;)...and a nice sleeper-mod!

coolguycooz
07-20-2004, 02:11 AM
I think there is something like that with a 3000 GT vr4 its stock you can flip a switch that does something simliar to that . That comes stock atleast with a 94 vr4 not sure about other years.

kjewer1
07-20-2004, 03:24 AM
These have been out forever, do a search for electric cutouts... There are several makers, and several threads on tooners. I was looking at getting one for some time. The Quicktime Exhaust Cutout comes to mind, or something like that. There are others.

joemathews
07-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Nice I'll do the search...just didn't know wtf to call them! I think coolguy is talking about the button in the VR4 that goes from performance to touring, or something like that. I'm not sure exactly what it affects, but exhaust could be one thing...

joemathews
07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
For archives' sake, I'll post some links for exhaust actuator electric cutout exhausts (word search name ;)):

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm

http://www.racenet.net/missing.php?url=http://www.racenet.net/exh/quicktubes.php

I do have another question however. A 2.5 inch downpipe is obviously all one needs unless they are getting into major power. Stock downpipe is supposed to be 2.25 in. Do you think it is necessary to buy an aftermarket 2.5 in. + downpipe and have the electric cutout welded to that, or could I get by with my stock downpipe and the cutout after that?

I'm wondering if the most restrictive aspect of the stock exhaust is the 1/4 in. less width in the downpipe, or the narrow bends in the catback and the cat itself, and how much power I would lose if I slapped a cutout right after my stock downpipe as opposed to buying a 2.5 in. and putting a cutout on that.

JoeWagon
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
If I were you, I'd either get exhaust, OR a cutout. The reason a cutout is a good idea is because you can close it, and have stock exhaust when you aren't racing. If you get a free flowing exhaust like a 2.5 inch, which has been run down into 11's.. you aren't going to need a cutout (basically an open downpipe)

joemathews
07-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Shit Joe I wasn't thinking...I want to go the cheapest way possible for exhaust. And I was thinking that JUST buying an aftermarket DP and cutout would give me essentially a short 2.5" exhaust when I wanted it. But I didn't even think that a 2.5 in. DP isn't going to fit on the stock cat/rest of exhaust :banghead: god I'm retarded.

Does anyone think that throwing a cutout on my 2.25 in. stock DP would be much worse than a 2.5 in. exhaust? Seems to me that should be good to at least 300 hp and I am nowhere near that now, nor do I plan to be any time soon!

kjewer1
07-21-2004, 12:19 PM
The stock DP is reportedly smaller than 2 inches at the front bend, all the heat shielding just makes it LOOK like its over 2 inches ;) The number I heard was 1 and 7/8ths. Might have been RREs site, cant remember its been so long.

At any rate, I think a 2.5" DP is a required mod at some point, even if you stay with 2.5" catback and do a cutout, or whatever. The stock DP is a piece IMO.

joemathews
07-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Okay that's what I needed to hear, thanks Kevin. So I need an aftermarket downpipe minimally.

kjewer1
07-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Well, need is a tough word. But I would say its worth the money. Remember that how much work a turbo can do is dependent on the pressure differential across the turbine wheel. Having the exhaust gasses able to expand into a nice large pipe helps. And the fact that you get faster spool and more creep is a testament to this. I think the best situation would be a 2.5" DP with a cutout for racing, but stock catback for minimum noise and maximum sleeper. Of course the neck down at the DP to catback joint wont help power with the cutout closed, but with it open it will no longer cost you any HP.

I too am considering toning down the exhaust... But the project has been put on the back burner, since I havent been able to drive the car on the street since april, lmao.

Add your comment to this topic!