Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help selecting accessories for planned system

a_hol06
07-19-2004, 07:50 PM
I have an Infinity Kappa perfect 10 and plan on buying an audiobahn a4002t, which produces 400 watts rms when bridged to mono. the sub handles 350 rms. i guess thats ok, if not tell me, but anyway, i plan on replacing my stock 6 3/4 and 4x6 speakers and buying a phoenix digital amp to power them, this amp produces 65 rms watts x 4 channels. i need a little help on choosing the right wiring components. i plan on hooking up 4 gauge power wires and getting a distributer to make that into 2 8 gauge power wire for each amp. i will get some 8 gauge ground wire for each, rca patch cables to connect one amp to the cd player and another cable to connect the two amps, and speaker wire to connect them to the speakers.what gauge speaker wire will i need for the speakers, and what gauge for the amp? am i missing any wiring components?

Haibane
07-20-2004, 08:49 AM
pheonix digital amp is a no no.You want something that will do 4 guage to each amp... IMO. For cheap quality amps www.edesignaudio.com (http://www.edesignaudio.com) Preorder should be over in the week though, so... hurry

a_hol06
07-20-2004, 10:58 AM
thanks for the help. do you mean get some amps that both need 4 gauge? if i do that, will i need to have 1/0 gauge or 2 gauge wire at the battery and split it into two 4 gauge?

Haibane
07-20-2004, 02:44 PM
I think you can run 2 guage wire at the battery and slit to 4...

mx6rrr
07-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Not to argue with you Haibane, but 2 awg might be a little over kill, you should be able to get by with running 4 gauge if you want to save money...but then again, if you ever want to upgrade you will probley want thicker power wire so it might be worth it to do it righ the first time. The infinity kappa perfect (in my opinion) is awesome and you will be supprised at the amount of bass, the volume, and the tightness of the sub if you get a good amp...I would suggest the JL 500/1 for that sub (remember to turn the gain down alitlle on the amp though so you dont blow the sub). Make sure you run the rca's on the other side of your car from the power wire to keep noise out of your system. I would run 12 gauge speaker wire to your sub from your amp, and if you want to rewire your interiors, use 18 or 16 gauge...you shouldn't need anything more than that....And HAVE FUN! (make sure you check for clearance when you drill through fire wall and drill for gound...that is if you are doing it yourself...if you have an automatic tranny, a good place to run your power wire through your fire wall is usually through where your clutch would normally be, there should be a plate there....)

aznxthuggie
07-21-2004, 10:08 PM
2 awg maybe overkill for his current setup.. but it'll leave lots of room for expansion.. which is a good thing of course

mx6rrr
07-21-2004, 11:46 PM
yah true dat. and i kinda convinced myself of that too in my reply....how do you like your deh-p860mp, my buddy has the 8600 and thats awesome...much difference???

aznxthuggie
07-21-2004, 11:57 PM
well at first.. when i bought this.. i was really skeptical.. being an alpine guy and all.. but more and more i realized how good this thing is..

look at how bad i thought it was a first..
http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=013348#000000

but i take almost everything back that i've said about it.. except the random song thing.. alpine is still better at that hah

the differences from the 860 and the 8600.. well i think #1 is the 6.5v preout that i have.. the 8600 has 4v and the 860 has a PRO mode.. which lets you switch between standard and network.. that changes the preamp outs from front/rear/sub to high/mid/low.. i also have a short review.. might be a lil bit biased.. but it seems ok

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=013680#000000

mx6rrr
07-23-2004, 04:28 AM
ok cool, thank you for that...im having a tough time choosing a deck. i currently have an eclipse and im really happy with it but its kinda low on features, and it doesnt have mp3 which i would like to have. so im deciding whether to get another eclipse, a pioneer, or an alpine. Also, i have a brain box for an alpine iva-c801...so....hmmmm.

aznxthuggie
07-23-2004, 08:21 PM
well from what i hear from people eclipse seems to be a really great deck but i've never worked with them before.. if i were you i would go for something a lil more pricey.. well thats just me because i dont like moving a step down.. so i went from the 9807 to a 860mp.. ($220 deck to a $340 deck) it was worth the money.. the 860 is a great deck.. but being an alpine guy and all.. i would have chosen the 9835 if it were possible.. but now i know alpine underrates most of their stuff.. for my next system i might go with all alpine.. and either buy one more type R and another m301 amp.. or try the type X subwoofer.. it looks really crazy.. that multiroll rubber surround.. i've never heard it but yea.. heh

Add your comment to this topic!