High Idle

BigBlake
07-19-2004, 08:50 PM
I was doing some reasearch on the internet to try to repair my 98 Rodeo and came across an old post about High Idle. Mine is Doing exactly the same as someone posted about 2 months ago. It runs about 1800-2000 RPM in park, 1250 in Drive, and when you disconnect the battery for a few minutes it resets for about 4 or 5 days or so, and then I start the whole process all over again. I was wondering if anyone had figured out what causes this? or what the fix might be?
I had read to disconnect the connector at the Power Steering pump. I see three connectors there (directly under the fluid resiviour). Which One? Black Green Or Blue? Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks.

Blake

By the way my rodeo is a 2 wheel Drive 3.2L. I was told that disconecting the switch would not hurt my truck because it is a v6.
Any Ideas?

Hansen8
08-06-2004, 11:36 AM
hey I recently had this problem too. I don't know if it's the same thing but check it out. My Rodeo would idle high too, when it did it it would start up at about 2-2.5 on the rpms. I would have to sit there for a few minutes for it to come down to the recommended 800 rpms. If I went into gear before it came down, the car would jump and the transmission would make a god aweful noise when shifting from first to second. I took it to the dealer, cause the check engine light came on and it would barely start and if I let it sit there idling, it would die. They put a new Idle control valve in it and it's fine now. Been idling perfect now everyday. Hopefully that works. The cost was about $200 for parts and labor at the dealer.

BigBlake
08-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks, I will get it checked.

Hansen8
08-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah hopefully that will do it. Let me know.

Add your comment to this topic!