Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Driver's seat too short in '94

David1966
07-19-2004, 07:07 PM
I'm taking possession of a '94 LeSabre from my family's company, a company car they no longer need.

The one REALLY annoying thing about it is that the back of the driver's seat is too short for me. I'm only 5'11" tall, but I have a fairly long torso in relation to my height. My shoulders project above the seat back, and I find this driving position very uncomfortable. It makes my back hurt. I just got rid of a 1981 Chevrolet, and though many things on it were falling apart, the seat was much more comfortable. The seat on my Mom's 1995 Blazer is also fine for me. I can't figure out why the seats on this LeSabre are designed this way. And it's a fancy, power-adjustable seat, too.

Is there any solution to this problem that's not horribly expensive, or should I just sell this car and buy something else? It's in great condition, but this is one of those problems that's so annoying that I don't think I can put up with it indefinitely.

Thanks,
David

pirho451
07-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey, I had the same problem when I drove my father's LeSabre. I've got a '93 Park Avenue and the seats seem like they're taller (at least somewhat). You might want to see if you can drive a '91-'96 Park Avenue and see if that seat is any better. those seats are interchangable and are pretty common in the junkyards.

Jonathan

Steve13
05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Hello Dave, I also have a 94 Lesabre Custom and my front driver seat is actually twisted on the inner half towards the backseat, kinda like somethings broken... I can't remember if it was like that when I bought it or I broke it (not going into how but you can imagine...) anyway I wanted to know if you ever replaced your front seat and how it went, mine also is the fancy power-adjusting seat.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Smith1000
05-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. In my 97, my shoulders touch the head rest even when it is all of the way up. It doesn't really bother me that my shoulders go above the top of the seat, but if the head rest is down, it is really annoying because it pushes on my shoulder blades. At least the seats go far enough back. I am 6'7" and have had to remove many seats in various cars and redrill holes to move the seats back on the seat frames. Maybe you could find a taller seat back from a different type of vehicle and modify it by attaching it to your Lesabre seat frame. You might have to mark and drill some holes, but you would then end up with something a little more comfortable. Might be able to shop through some seats at a junk yard and see if they measure close to the Lesabre seat frame.

LeBuick
06-01-2005, 12:34 AM
I had just the opposite problem, my legs are long in relation and my 2000 Lesabre seemed to have a short bottom and did not support my legs well. I have a PA now and problem is solved.

pirho451
06-01-2005, 07:10 AM
Like I said... the Park Avenue seats are completely interchangable (just did a swap last month). They are considerably taller, and much more comfortable IMHO.

Steve13
06-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the info, now to start calling the local junkyards to find a seat...
On the swap part, how did the install go, is it as easy has remove some screws/bolts & wiring connectors, pull seat, then put in new seat with same bolts and the wiring will match up or is it more involved...also do I have to replace the entire front bench or can I just replace the driver side half seeing has that's the only one broken...

Thanks in advance,
Steve

pirho451
06-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Hey Steve, my LeSabre had the EXACT same problem yours did. The swap is a piece o' cake. You'll need 13mm and 15mm sockets, a #2 Phillips-head screwdriver, and also a T-47 torx bit. The swap is pretty straightforward. I'd try to find one with the same seat setup as yours (if yours doesn't have memory seats, then don't pull one that does). If you get one that's exactly the same, then it's 7 bolts and that's it. If you do have to swap tracks, it's not that hard; it's just a tight fit between the track and seat.

Just to give you an idea... I pulled both front seats, the rear seat, the carpet, and the air duct that goes between the dash and the back of the driver's seat. I got all of that out of my wrecked '93 Park Avenue, swapped the seat tracks out of the LeSabre, and installed everything into my LeSabre in under 2 hours. You should be able to do yours in under 30 minutes.

Steve13
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Sweet, correct me if I'm wrong but I'll probably just have to replace the seat itself then, all the electronics/etc. are on the track that the seat mounts on, which I shouldn't have to replace because all of it works fine.
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes...now to begin tracking down a replacement seat.
Thanks again,
Steve

pirho451
06-01-2005, 04:03 PM
It's your call on that one. It's probably easier to replace the seat, track and all, but either way it's not too hard.

Add your comment to this topic!