Code 410 Stored Air Pump ?

rwagoner56
07-19-2004, 07:41 PM
I've got a 2001 Aurora 3.5l

I'm trying to figure out where to start with this.

The check engine light is on and the diagnostic results was apparently Code 410 Stored Air Pump.

The car is running great.

The Autozone guy said it is hard to tell what is wrong because it could be anything in the air intake system.

Has anyone had this problem code before and maybe some knowledge about how to resolve it?

Thanks, Rick

apostolakisl
07-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Well this is quite the coincidence. I just got done asking the same question in a thread I started a while back. Same car, same code, same symptoms (none, that is).

rwagoner56
07-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Any luck fixing the problme?

apostolakisl
07-20-2004, 06:09 PM
I reset the code yesterday. It hasn't come back on. . . yet. If it does I'll look into it further, or if someone can tell me what I should check for problems I will.

rwagoner56
07-26-2004, 07:19 PM
I reset the code yesterday but it came back on today.

Autozone diagnosed as code 410 - secondary air intake error.

Any idea what the secondary air intake would consist of?

gvanpatten
08-07-2004, 03:06 PM
I will join the group. I have the same vehicle and have reset code P0410 (secondary air intake malfuction) twice. Car runs fine but I would sure like to find out what is causing this code.

apostolakisl
08-07-2004, 05:53 PM
It seems we're starting to get a nice little party of folks getting code 410 without a clue as to why. It's been about 3 or 4 weeks since I reset mine and it still hasn't come back on yet. The car continues to work fine.

apostolakisl
08-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Spoke too soon. The damn 410 code came back on today! This is not going to be easy to figure out if the light takes 3 weeks to come back on. I see another frustration with this car building.

apostolakisl
08-09-2004, 11:26 AM
I have found some info on the secondary air injection system. It seems that this is an emission control function where extra air is injected into the exhaust system to provide oxygen for the catalytic converter. Here is a good website http://www.12v.org/engine/index.php?section=hw&sm=2nd

I'm not sure if a do-it-yourselfer is capable of doing much to fix this system. Perhaps a check for leaking vacuum lines?

Also found this about a chevy s-10:
"ok I have a 2000 s-10 2.2 4 cyl, which had the code, p0410, secondary air injection malfunction. I first was told it was the air pump, so I bought a new one and installed it, had the code cleared, and BAM driving it the next day the light came back on with the same code. Well after doing some research I came up with my own diagnostics.
1. follow the hose going out of the air pump to the top of the engine, disconnect it, and on a COLD START, the air pump should be pumping air through the hose, if it is not then the fuse is blown, or the pump is bad. There is 2 in-line fuses for this system by the battery, it is best to take the battery out to get to them, because they are not in the fuse box. One is a MAX 30A, the other, a typical 10A.
2. If the pump is doing what it is supposed to on a cold start, there is two other probable causes that I know of, one is about a $25 vacuum operated switch, and the other device is some kind of one-way air flow (do-hickey) which costs about $25 dollars also. These all connect on to the air pump one way or another, and the only thing you need to note is the in/out hoses, and replace those cheap hose clamps, with some quality, reusable stainless steel ones.
After replacing the one-way switch on my truck, the light still came on, and the problem all along was the $25 dollar vacuum switch connected to ther air pump. So after a few unneccary, costly repairs my truck didn't need, it is doing fine again. Oh well at least I have a whole new secondary air injection system now, kept the old parts as spares, and can't complain about that being the only thing so far with 70,000 miles on it!!! :)"

Fecal Extrusion
08-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Secondary Air Intake is an UNIMPORTANT component of the system.
The reason it's even there, is to compensate for the higher emissions
during a cold start. As a matter of fact, after 90 seconds (when the car
comes out of open loop after cold start), the thing shuts off until the
next 'cold' start.

The Secondary Air Intake function is basically a cheat to pass DOT
regulations for sale into North America. It doesn't actually reduce
emissions, it steals fresh air from a 'loophole' (in the DOT rules) point
in the engine and dumps it into the exhaust to 'change the ratio',
and be within regulations. Lots of manufacturers do the same thing.

Your car will function fine without it working. It won't even register on
emissions tests, because they are supposed to be done with the engine
warm. (ie: AFTER 90 seconds - (open loop)) So unless the Check Engine
light really bothers you, or you got tons of cash, just don't worry about it!!!

apostolakisl
08-09-2004, 07:59 PM
thanks for the info . . .we'll just call you fe for short. I was starting to gather that it was unimportant as I read some of the websites about it. I still find it very anoying to have the stupid check engine light come on. I did buy a obd code reader/resetter a little while back so I suppose I can just reset it every time.

Genopsyde
08-10-2004, 01:01 AM
i take it nobody has a warrantee either.

apostolakisl
08-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Someone should check on that, some of the emissions stuff has a 70,000 mile warranty (like the computer which I just had replaced under warranty at 55,000 miles).

apostolakisl
08-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Just checked with the dealer. Only the computer and catalytic converter are covered beyond the regular warranty.

rwagoner56
09-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Is it possible for any of you to tell me where the air pump is located on the 01. What does it look like?
I know this is a dumb question.

Thanks

Neta
08-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I was driving with P0410 for 8 months, untill 6 weeks ago I desided to do the tune-up. My Aurora had 180K kilometers on it, so it was time to do something...
It appeared that my Plugs were completely burned - down to the isolators. Mechanic also replaced PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body, did the fuel and air filter... He also scanned my Oxigen sensors - they were OK.

After all, he told me that my P0410 will likely disappear pretty soon. Because of the poor plugs, engine had poor (incomplete) fuel burn, so my Oxigen sensor registered higher oxigen content and interprited it as the Secondary Air Intake vacuum loss - like it was sucking air into the collectors due to the leaking Sec. air intake valve(s).

Indeed, in 3 days Check lignt went off. Then, in 5 days, it came back for few hours, and disappeared again.
One month later I am still driving without Check (Keepping my fingers crossed!)

Neta

Bidderboy
09-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I had a blown 50 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I replaced it and the pump worked for about 10 seconds before it blew again. I checked the pump and it was junk so I replaced it with a new one ( $85.00 ) had the check engine light turned off and have been fine ever since. The pump is located under the drivers side front bumper. Its a easy job!

93pb
09-01-2005, 06:54 PM
$85.00 !! how did you get it for that?? Mine cost me $160.00 from the dealership!

Marc

Bidderboy
09-05-2005, 12:51 AM
I had the same problem with my 01 with the 3.5 and I tracked it down to the air pump. I kept blowing a 50 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I tracked it down to the air pump which is under the drivers side front bumper. The pump cost me $85.00 and it wasn't that big of a deal to put in. I had the light shut off and it hasn't returned yet!

tech JK
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
If the pump or the connector on the pump is not the problem, and the ground for the pujmp is not the problem, then the most overlooked - and common cause for p0410 is a faulty diverter valve. 1 for each manifold. Most techs dont catch this.
Tech JK

xeroinfinity
11-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Again tech JK, posting to a question 3 years old is pointless.
If it's not fixed by now it never will be.

This is closed!

Add your comment to this topic!