Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 PA interior lights won't shut off

Jim7145
07-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Hi everybody! I came upon this website 'cuz of the problem mentioned above and Google returned this site. I read the posts on the 91 PA that came back, and since there wasn't any mention of my particular prob; I joined up. The reason I did was that the responses I did see were from people who know what they're talking about. So... here we go...
Got the PA two weeks ago. The body's a piece of glass; it only has 109,000 KM (not miles, KM; roughly 68,000 miles); for a 13 y/o car, that's pretty good.
So; yesterday we got into the car, and the interior lights didn't go off. We opened and slammed the passenger (front) door, and that took care of the prob. Today the lights just won't go off. I looked, but wasn't able to find a door switch for the lights on the frame.
... Is there one? Or is it integral to the door lock? If it's not, WHERE THE HECK IS THE FLUSHLUGGINGER THING?
... If it IS integral to the door lock, can I remove it and troubleshoot it? I assume that the problem isn't a broken wire; rather a stuck switch.
... Anybody have any ideas?
Please respond asap, cuz my car's battery is draining as I write.
Thanks.
Jim

Jed Rule
07-20-2004, 06:12 PM
My 1995 shop manual shows the interior lights are controled by the individual front door lock assemblies and rear door latch asemblies. They do not explain the difference between a latch and a lock, but the distinction is made in the troubleshooting hints.
If your car has the Illuminated Entry System, things get more difficult. The outside door handles trigger the interior lights when pressed (or maybe shorted). Also slamming the driver door could be jarring the light switch in the dash.
The wires to the courtesy light switches are dark blue. You could follow them if you get the door trim off.

Add your comment to this topic!