Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Topper/Cap - Drill or Clamp?

mountainpete
07-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to put a canopy on my 03 Taco Double-cab. Now there are a couple of places in town that sell and install them and out of them all, one of them swears that clamps don't work to hold down the canopies. They say the only way to go is to drill and bolt them down to the box. And drilling into my truck gives me a sick feeling...

Any thoughts? For those of you have have caps, do you have clamps or bolts?

Thanks!

Pete

Shredhead
07-19-2004, 07:54 PM
And it should I have seen what happens to a truck from holes drilled, rust, jaged metal etc, clamping a shell is just as good if not better especially since you have a smaller box it's easier for you to take off the shell. The only thing that might be making the garrage that want's to drill go that way is that clamps can shake loose however, I have never seen or heard of this and I have known several people that have clamp on shells and never had a problem with the c-clamp and deffinatly benifit from being able to quickly remove if necessary

Brian R.
07-20-2004, 12:38 AM
Yeah, use clamps. Check the clamps once in a while and make sure they're not working loose.

groupset
07-20-2004, 09:20 AM
I've had my Snug Top shell clamped on my '03 DC for over a year and a half - been four-wheeling a little, on bumpy roads a lot, never had a problem with it. I've checked the clamps; always tight.

mountainpete
07-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the replies... I'm going to get clamped!

Any worries about a topper and taking it off road? I don't do a lot, but I do take some nastly cutlines to get to a couple fishing holes.

groupset
07-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies... I'm going to get clamped!

Any worries about a topper and taking it off road? I don't do a lot, but I do take some nastly cutlines to get to a couple fishing holes.

It'll go anywhere your Tacoma will. Be aware that branches; etc. will put scratches in it (just like they will the body of your truck). I actually noticed an improvement in the way my 4WD DC handled after I mounted the SnugTop shell - it put some needed weight over the rear drive wheels. The factory shocks are very stiff; the weight helped it.

Brian R.
07-20-2004, 09:59 PM
The added weight in the back will also help in braking. The proportioning valve will add more brake force to the rear wheels when weight is added there. Even things out a bit.

dfskinner
07-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Clamped, no problems. Clamps make it easy to take off and put on, and no problems with them coming loose.

Good Luck,

Add your comment to this topic!