Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What else fits?

zippy_LiL_SL1
07-19-2004, 04:03 PM
I have decided to put a wing on my 2000 SL1, however, I don't want just any wing. Thursday is payday, and Friday I have off... so guess where I'm going.. YUP, junkyard! Going to see if there are any alloy wheels laying around and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any wings/spoilers from another car which will fit on an SL1. I know I probably won't find anything special, but hey it's worth a shot. For those of you that know what it is, I have the advantage of living close to Harry's U Pull It. I know, really funny sounding name but it's a HUGE junkyard. Again, any suggestions?

Also, I just MIGHT try the mod mentioned here.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256311

Thnx in advance

sierrap615
07-19-2004, 11:59 PM
unless your handling is crap, i wouldn't get a spoiler. they increase drag(but not alot) on the SOHC lots of handleing problems are traced back to the lack of a rear sway bar.

http://www.spswebpage.com/store/index.php?cat=s_series&sub=Stabilizer%20Bars&sid=e53d4e1c3af8cf781958236c06483fe0

there is a kit to add a rear sway bar, but i bet you can find what you need at the junkyard.

anyway back to your question. the spoiler will help handling, 2000 - 2002 SLx all use the same design, the 96-99 SLx may fit also.

if you are going to do the head swap, you need to plan ahead. i just got this from a real saturn tech, not just a wanna be like be. he also said the DOHC and SOHC pistons will work with each other, but not perfictly. you will lose a small amount of compression, so swap the head or swap the block for maybe more 0.3 compression. unless you're going full race, it doesn't matter.

The compression loss is really not that great. An OEM DOHC with OEM DOHC pistons delivers 124 HP (at the crank) in perfect tune and trim. The DOHC head on a block with SOHC pistons could be reasonably expected to deliver in the range of 115-120. SO it becomes a question as to whether that 5-9 hp is worth the effort to you. To make this swap you will need:

DOHC cylinderhead complete with valves lifters and cams
DOHC timing componants (chain and sprockets, tensioner, guides)
DOHC timing chain cover
DOHC cam cover
DOHC intake and exhaust manifolds
DOHC fuel rail and injectors
DOHC PCM (SOHC will work, but not perfectly)
DOHC engine wiring harness

NOTE: This swap is also basically impossible if the car is an automatic (unless you're going to swap the transaxle too..)

Add your comment to this topic!