Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 surburban does not idle good

dougis621
07-19-2004, 11:50 AM
I recently bough a 1987 3/4 ton suburban. It is 2 wd had the 454 engine, is fuel injected and has 113,000 miles. Recently it has not been idling very good. I first noticed it after I towed my camper on a four hour trip. It ran perfect the whole way, towed like a beast. But when I stopped, turned off the engine, then started it again a few minutes later it was really spit'n and sputter'n. Now even when I start it cold in the morning it doesn't doesn't idle right. Once I get going again it runs great. Its just when I stop, turn it off and start it back up again that it doesn't run good. Sometimes it even dies on me after I start it back up. Anyone had this problem? Not much of a mechanic, just want some idea of what might be wrong before I take it in.. Thanks. Doug.

Crashhopper
08-01-2004, 01:41 PM
I have a '89 suburban with throttle body injection and has run rough on me several times and I will tell you what I found each time. If you have throttle body injection, the injectors are easy to see by removing the aircleaner. You want to see a good conical spray pattern and they need to look the same. On mine, I lost power and it ended up being the plug was coming off the injectors.
Take a good look at your spark plug wires feeling them for hardness, cracks and bending them to find any cracks.
Take off your distributor cap and look at the contact points on the inside to see if they look burned or corroded and also check the rotor to see if the contactor is burned or corroded as well.
A check I normally do is to pull the spark plug wire from the plug on each cylinder and plugging it back while listening for a drop in RPM. No drop in RPM means you found the cyclinder that isn't firing.
Check your plugs for build up that would keep them from getting a good spark.
Look for cracks or holes in all of your vacuum hoses.
Check your EGR valve, use your fingers to push in the diaphram to see if it is still attached to the poppet valve. You can attach a vacuum tool (or if you don't mind the taste of rubber try sucking on the hose attached to the valve) and check to see if it operates properly. The vacuum tool is good for checking for leaks, they normally have a gage on them and any big drop in vacuum means the EGR valve diaphram has a hole in it.
Seems to me the most likely problems are in your ignition system or EGR valve.

rattleman67
08-01-2004, 07:32 PM
I replaced my fuel filter, all the plugs, wires, etc.. look good. Took it down to my local auto parts store and ran a diagnostic on it. Came back with trouble code 44...oxygen sensor lean. Should I replace the O2 sensor or is something else causing it to read that way? I did replace the fuel filter, but still running poorly at idle and low speeds.

Add your comment to this topic!