Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sign for BAD GAS!!!

Pipemitten
07-19-2004, 02:46 AM
I am having some problem with my 1986.5 supra mkiii . I recently replaced the head gasket and rebuilt my head with all new internals. After getting the car running well i drove it for it's first night out. This is when a came to my most recent problem. For some reason my car will not idle at all. It used to idle alittle high like arround 1k. But after getting down to like an 1/8 tank of gas it will not idle. It will start when you give it gas and will climb rpm nicely after 1.5k and then stumple quickly when you are off it till it stalls quickly. My car prior has been sitting for about 6 months. Could this be "bad gas"? What are signs of "bad gas"? can you help ?

CiDirkona
07-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah, this is probably bad gas if it was sitting for 6 months or so. Try using a tank of high octane or drain the tank. Running bad gas through your filter, lines, regulator and injectors isn't good for them either...

There are other options as well - I would suggested using some Sta-Bil to keep the gas from going bad before parking it for 6 months, but then again, hind-sight is 20/20. You could try using some Sta-Bil now, letting it sit over night, but it'll smell funny when you run it for a while.

This will also happen when you run out of gas. All the crud/water/oil/seperated gasoline that normally floats on top of your gasoline will get sucked into the system, which isn't good for anything. You could try a couple gallons of 100 or 110 octane and swerving hard to slosh it around good? That's just an idea though...

Really, the best thing to do would be to drop your tank, drain it, check your pump and meter float. Change your fuel filter while you're at it too...

-Colin

Pipemitten
07-23-2004, 01:02 AM
I'm going to try putting some high octane into it and seeing if that changes anything..... I've also heard other ideas from ASE Master certified techs that it may be either the idle set screw in the throttle body and/or the throttle linkage where the cable meets the engine. They said something about a "linkage screw". I'm kind of in a miss about this stuff. please help

CiDirkona
07-23-2004, 02:52 AM
Did you adjust/disconnect the throttle cable or idle screw when you changed the head gasket? If the problem exsists only when your low on fuel, it wouldn't be the cable or idle screw.

I always get bad gas after Del Taco... er I mean, umm...

Anyways, you could always try turning it up a bit, just adjust it as if the throttle was down just a little bit further. It's the screw that the throttle rests against when it's closed (foot off the gas).

-Colin

Pipemitten
07-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Did you adjust/disconnect the throttle cable or idle screw when you changed the head gasket?
-Colin

No i haven't Like I said it was running beautifully before it went done to 1/8 tank of gas

hiddenxartxryu
07-24-2004, 11:13 PM
I have 1/8 tank, it has been sitting for 5 years. It skomes. Could it be the gas?...what damage am i doing byt doing that?

Add your comment to this topic!