Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cummins Turbo

chevynutss
07-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Ok....I have some questions concerning the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I've been looking into a 1998+ Quad Cab 4x4 with a 5 or 6 speed. How much power do they have like horsepower/ torque ratings? Are they dependable, I'm very hard on vehicles. Gas mileage is a big deal now, how do they do around town and on the highway, and on the highwya pulling a 18ft boat? And are they just a nice overall truck, I don"t want the die hard dodge person saying how awesome they are, I would like an un biased opinion. Thanx

pind
07-19-2004, 11:05 AM
OK, you are looking at a 98.5 or newer to get teh quad cab in a 2500 with the cummins. This lets you in to the ISB series, should be 235 hp. If you don't mind the noise, you cannot beat the all around power. Lots of low end, real world pulling power, and the best part is, not a v-8.

In 98-99 the tranny option was a 5-speed, 6 speeds started to appear around late 2000 if I recall correctly. Fuel mileage is hit and miss, some, like my 01 are great, some suck monkey nuts. I run between 23 - 26 mpg, friend of mine with a 98.5 gets 12 - 14 doing the same kind of stuff. Both trucks are 2500/ISB/5-speed/4x4/ 285/75/16 tires.
And, as a useless side note, if you buy a 3/4 ton or heavier truck for fuel mileage, you need help. ;)

Back to the truck. The front ends are lame. I drive my truck, work it hard every day, and I will tell you, they need the upgraded ball joints, and you can get a Luke's link, or other options to repair the track bar in the front. If you truly set your mind on a truck like this, check out http://www.solidsteel.ca/. These guys make steering braces and updated track bar kits.

Other than that, lift pumps are ad on these trucks, but cummins has introduced an updated pump, that flows better and lasts longer than the original. Get a fuel pressure gauge for the lift pump, and if anyting goes wonky change it. The VP44 injector pump will not survive without the lift pump functioning properly. Last friday, I performed VP44 transplant surgery for the 17th time, on a truck where the lift pump had gotten weak, and it ate up the injector pump. Pricey fix.

They are noisier in the cab than the other brands of trucks out there, but that is a small price to pay for the pulling power. It will haul an 18 foot boat like its not even there. In fact, the boat may as well be a tea towel flapping in the wind back there.

As far as around town, I have found that the dodge 4x4 has a way tighter turning radius than the ford or gm products, making my life a whole bunch easier when i am hauling the bobcat or excavator around and need to turn around. even with the quad cab long box, and a trailer that measures 21' from hitch to tail, I can turn it completely around in the width (shoulder to shoulder ) of a residential street.

Hopefully, although way too long, this clears things up a bit. Good luck in your search.

fredjacksonsan
07-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Go to: Turbo Diesel Register, it's a forum for Dodge Cummins. Those guys are saying that if they keep their rpm's below 2000 on the highway they get over 20mpg (some say up to 27). Lots of info there. (Not to take away from Pind's post, which is on the money)

SwampNut
07-23-2004, 07:35 AM
I recently rented a 2004 Ram 2500 with the turbo-diesel. I loved it, and it's what drove me to buy a 1500 quad cab SLT (couldn't justify the 2500 diesel for my light needs). As said, turning radius beats the others. Towing a car on a full dolly was like running the truck with nothing back there--couldn't tell it was there either in loss of power or handling. Fuel mileage seemed completely unaffected.

I don't know the specs on power, but that thing HAULS ASS. It will smoke the tires in a straight line simply from the turbo kicking in when you stomp it.

tommychau
07-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Check out banks power for Dodge cummin's trucks!

03-04 models
http://www.bankspower.com/newproducts-1-04-2.cfm

98-02 models
http://www.bankspower.com/newproducts-1-04.cfm

or just check out http://www.bankspower.com for all their products! I would love to see that six gun upgrade on the cummins and push that engine to over 400+ HP 600-700 lbs of torque.

Also, read their dakota sidewinder project! cummins power dakota! 700HP/1300lbs Torque. broke the land speed record and have a vid of them beating a new vette on the streets.

JohnClark318
07-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Buy a new Cummins, and the little 6 that could has a class-leading 600lbs/ft of torque, and over 300hp. Add a big exhaust, a Bully-Dog Diesel computer kit, Propane injection (yeah - Propane!!!) and play with the ignition, bigger throttle body etc...You can see close to 1000lbs/ft of torque!

carbap82
07-31-2004, 04:35 PM
SWAMPNUT, did you rent the automatic or the manual, how did you like it?

SwampNut
07-31-2004, 10:24 PM
I got the auto. Loved it. Absolutely, without question, loved it. That rental was the only reason I recently bought a Ram, after always owning Fords.

Ramminrod
09-11-2005, 12:23 AM
You did say 4X4?So don't worry about ball joints,it doesn't have any.My 1995 is less powerful than a 98.5.And it will pull an 18 foot boat like a "tea towel".The only thing that has been done to mine is oil changes,fuelings,tires changed,brakes serviced,1 turbo overhaul.1 tranny overhaul/upgrade(manual),an altenator,track bars (3,1 MOOG),new EBC rotors and pads at 421k,and driven for 422,000+ miles.I always get 19-23 mpg.
It is the best truck I have ever owned(surprisingly by quite a bit in my opinion),and I owned both of the others.Louder?Perhaps?My Ford diesel was not very quiet,I don't think mine was either quieter or louder than this Dodge,my Chevy's have been gas.And the diesels I have seen were quieter and "listless" relatively speaking.But I have no familarity with the "Duramax".They do seem very quiet though.

Ramminrod
09-12-2005, 09:00 PM
You did say 4X4?So don't worry about ball joints,it doesn't have any.My 1995 is less powerful than a 98.5.And it will pull an 18 foot boat like a "tea towel".The only thing that has been done to mine is oil changes,fuelings,tires changed,brakes serviced,1 turbo overhaul.1 tranny overhaul/upgrade(manual),an altenator,track bars (3,1 MOOG),new EBC rotors and pads at 421k,and driven for 422,000+ miles.I always get 19-23 mpg.
It is the best truck I have ever owned(surprisingly by quite a bit in my opinion),and I owned both of the others.Louder?Perhaps?My Ford diesel was not very quiet,I don't think mine was either quieter or louder than this Dodge,my Chevy's have been gas.And the diesels I have seen were quieter and "listless" relatively speaking.But I have no familarity with the "Duramax".They do seem very quiet though.
Sorry my mistake,I think of this front axle exactly like the older trucks.It is not,and it does have "ball joints"!My apologgies to all.Mine have never been a problem however.And I have replaced "king pins" in older trucks with fewer miles.I have replaced just about everything before at fewer miles actually.And no,it is not full of squeaks and rattles either.Which really surprises me with this truck.As I have had severe door sag and S&R's many miles sooner with everything else that I have ever owned.

Add your comment to this topic!