Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which is fastest off the line

lmblueteg
07-18-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm shopping around for a car and I need some UNBIASED answers PLEASE!! I don't really care about racing a whole 1/4 or 1/2 mile I mostly just want something with good acceleration and possibly beating people off the line, 0-60 So.............with that in mind, here is my list of cars I'm interested in, which is best off the line?

Honda Prelude (92-96)(I like the body style better)
Acura Integra (probably GSR)
VW Golf or Jetta

Also, in regards to acceleration is it better to have a lot of torque or a lot of horsepower, because Integra has more horsepower but lower torque and VW has a lot of torque but less horsepower and Prelude has a pretty even mix of both. However, going through these forums I've seen a whole lot of people who think Preludes are slow, I don't get it!?!!

RSX-S777
07-19-2004, 07:53 PM
VW's have great low-end torque as you said. So if you just want to get off the line quick (stock) and don't care what happens 6-7 seconds later, look at those. The Prelude is an excellent, well-rounded car with good torque (for a Honda) and good hp. It can compete somewhat with a stock RSX Type S, for example. Integras are plenty quick in their own right (Especially if you can get your hands on a Type R) and have massive aftermarket support. Both the Teg and the Lude are also top-notch in regards to quality construction and reliability. Looks are subjective, and I'm partial to the Integras and Ludes over the VWs any day...but that's biased so...THE END.

lmblueteg
07-22-2004, 12:11 AM
yeah out of the cars I liked I really liked the 92-96 Preludes the best based on looks, and VW's were last on my list. But, for acceleration its best to have more torque right? I mean, cause right now I have an Integra GS and its really quick, once you're in 2nd or 3rd gear or in high RPM's. It's like it goes kinda slow and then suddenly shoots off with this burst of speed! I want something that won't annoy me during 5 o clock traffic, something that can accelerate quickly for passing and such, I'm not much of a race fan so I don't want to get to 50 mph and then pass people ya know? :)

MexSiR
07-22-2004, 11:41 AM
A normal jetta and a normal golf, the 2.0 powered 115 h.p are EXTREMELY SLOW, and im not joking, they are the one of the slowest cars in the market.

No comparison against a prelude and integra.

RSX-S777
07-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Yes, you definitely want torque. Hondas are notorious for their somewhat lackluster low-end torque, but VTEC and the newer I-VTEC, once they check in, give a nice little kick. I would go with the Prelude or another Integra and save for some basic N/A mods. A side note...one of my ex-girlfriends had a VW Jetta and it began falling apart 3 months after purchase. This is unheard of in the Honda circle.

Add your comment to this topic!