Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trouble Starting

jperkins151
07-18-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey all,
I have a 93 1500, 4.3L, that is having trouble starting. Sometimes it fires right up, and other times it wont start at all. The fuel pump was just replaced about 4 years ago, and I just replaced the fuel filter and a section of fuel line. It seems that when she sits over night, it has trouble starting in the morning. It cranks fine, but wont fire up. After about 10 seconds of cranking, sometimes longer, it will fire. However, when I have driven it a short distance, say 15 miles, it wont start up again unless I leave it set for the day (as if I was at work). After work, it starts right up. The fuel pressure was tested and they said it was normal. The starter sounds great, just replaced the battery and did a tune up. Any ideas? Distributor cap maybe?

Hudgins
07-21-2004, 07:50 PM
It sounds like I have the same problem! Did you ever determine what it was? I have a 92 single cab and it speraticly has the same problem. I have been fighting it for months. I'm getting fuel to the throttle body injecter (TBI), but no fuel is coming out of the injectors. It possibly is the fuel regulator, but I would think it would die while I was driving. I am only recieving .8VDC at the injector plug. This seems very low to me, therefore I may have a ECM problem. Please reply

jperkins151
07-21-2004, 10:03 PM
No, I have not found out what is the problem yet. I wish I had. At any rate, I am haveing the same exact problem because I was not getting fuel out of the injectors. That is why I started doing the fuel line fixes. I have noticed just recently that when you try to start it, the oil pressure is zilch (obviously) But right before it starts, the pressure jumps way up and then it fires. I dont know if that obsevation is the same for you or even if it helps. Just out of curiousity, how many miles do you have on your truck? Mine is pushing 226k. Today was a good day, she started every time, with some persuation.

Hudgins
07-22-2004, 07:12 AM
I'll take a look at my oil pressure gauge. Maybe the system wont start if there is no pressure. I when the truck is running the pressure has always been good. I have 215K miles on my truck. I am considering removing the fuel regulator housing and removing the injectors. Then re-install the regulator housing. I will try to start the truck, if fuel rushes into the injector cavity/chamber, the fuel regulator has to be working. Therefore it is an electrical problem. If fuel doesn't come out, it is a regulator problem or fuel pump problem. I know that I'm getting fuel at the TBI, but I don't know what the pressure is. Maybe it's not enough to open the diaphram in the regulator. I have attached a simular thread that turned out to be the fuel pump pressure. Thanks - keep me informed

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=242083&goto=newpost

Add your comment to this topic!