Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'87 Tailgate Stuck

valgoak
07-18-2004, 06:32 PM
The tailgate is stuck closed on my 1987 Suburban. The power window works - the handle to open the tailgate works and both latches - unlatch at the top of the tailgate. But something else on the right side down further is stuck and won't let that side loose.

I am not sure how to remove the inside panel of the tailgate. It has carpet that is being held to the door with nut head screws. Do I take them off?

Please help!

Thank you!

Old Dave
07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Yes, remove the screws that go through the carpet and remove the panel. This will expose the metal access plate that is held on with phillips head screws. Remove the access panel and you should be able to see what is hanging you up. Make sure you lube that mechanism that makes your window go up and down with some lithium grease before you put it back together.

valgoak
07-22-2004, 09:13 PM
So awesome! Worked like a champ! After removing the carpet/panel - the metal access plate only had 2 screws holding it on - so it looks like someone did this before!

Thank you so much for replying!

I never used lithium grease before & I will remember next time not to use my finger to apply it to a metal mechanism - some shards of metal stuck in my finger! Ouch!

I tried to reply the other night - but the site was giving me an error about being busy -

Thank you!!

Add your comment to this topic!