Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 front passenger carpet wet

joesuburban
07-18-2004, 12:20 PM
The front passenger carpet is always wet. I first thought the water was coming in from the outside, but it is raining today, and the water is not getting worse. I am thinking it is the a/c drain in the passenger compartment. Does that sould correct? If it is, does anyone know how to clean it out? thanks. JC

Pamsdad
07-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Your A/C drain may be clogged.

Should be located on firewall...

Old Dave
07-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Pamsdad is correct in that the drain is probably clogged. Raise the hood when the engine is cool and locate the two metal lines that go into the evaporator throught the firewall. There will be a rubber elbow about 1/2" in diameter that turns down toward the frame. Carefully pull this off and take a stick or a plastic straw and poke back in there and see what comes out. I just did this last week on my 97 Suburban and it had a spider nest in there. It's not easy to get the elbow back on since it's between the two metal lines, especially when you have hands the size of mine. Good luck... :)

chaddyp
07-21-2004, 09:59 AM
If there is a sweet/stale smell the wetness could also be from the heater core. Has the Radiator coolant been low? I suggest looking into that.

99suburban2wd1500
11-28-2004, 05:13 PM
I have the wet carpet problem too in the front passenger side of my 99 suburban.

I think I've located the metal lines per "old dave", but they look like supply and return for the heater coil, not freon lines

and the drain connection is not between them it's next to them,

and it does not have the rubber 90 (like I found on the drain for 00 vette) there is just a "nozzle" or "ferrule" there,

so I'm concerned I may be looking in the wrong place on the fire wall or I may just have the rubber tube missing and be getting water inside when it's wet outside.

Am I in the right spot? just below the insulated coffee can that looks like part of the freon system???

Tim

99suburban2wd1500
11-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Pamsdad is correct in that the drain is probably clogged. Raise the hood when the engine is cool and locate the two metal lines that go into the evaporator throught the firewall. There will be a rubber elbow about 1/2" in diameter that turns down toward the frame. Carefully pull this off and take a stick or a plastic straw and poke back in there and see what comes out. I just did this last week on my 97 Suburban and it had a spider nest in there. It's not easy to get the elbow back on since it's between the two metal lines, especially when you have hands the size of mine. Good luck... :)

Old Dave, I have wet carpet in the front seat of my 99 suburban on the passenger side, and I think my rubber elbow is missing, but I am also concerned I'm looking in the wrong spot. The drain I'm looking at is not between two metal lines it's next to them and all there is 1/2 inch nipple sticking out from the wall without the rubber elbow. Am I looking in the right area and therefore am I just missing the rubber 90? I also think these are heater supply and return lines not freon.

Tim

Pewter'01SS
11-29-2004, 07:39 AM
It sounds like you are all missing the drain tube. I had one fall of my truck and I had the wet floor on the pass. side. Go to a dealer and get another one, should clear the problem up.

Add your comment to this topic!