Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Paint, Primer, Clear Coat, ect. advice

Macdaddy4738
07-17-2004, 08:57 PM
I am probably going to be purchasing a couple bottle of paint. I finally got an airbrush and i want to start airbrushing soon (although i will be forced to use the cans of air for a while :cwm27: )

Anyways...on to my questions.

What brand primer do you reccommend? Ive heard Tamiya is the best stuff...but ive also heard of Automotive primers? What do you personally use?

What brand paints do you reccommend? Id like to know both in Spray cans and in bottles of what brand.

What paints do you airbrush? Enamal, Arcrylic, Lacquer? Whats your choice and why??

What clear coat have you had the best experience with? Ive heard bad stuff about Tamiya and Future Floor Polish and a few others. What brands do you use??

Where do you get your sandpaper from?? Currently im using Testors Sanding films...which run out quick and are pretty small.

What type of glue do you reccommend? I use Testors glue in the tube...but from what i hear this isnt the best to use. I usually just put a bit on a napkin and smear it on with an old knife blade.

What putty should be used for...
A. General purpose...filling sink holes, minor scratches, closing seams. Do i use Epoxy for this?

B. Custom Body work...I heard Tamiya Epoxy is the best...any other brands out there??

Sorry for all the questions. Just being on here and reading stuff has confused me about which brand is better...what to get, stuff like that. If i find anymore questions i will add them in this thread.

pre98zetec
07-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Sorry to do this but, Every question you asked is awnsered in the FAQ, Atleast I think so.

geofroley
07-17-2004, 09:12 PM
I use Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing. Cleans out easily and sprays really well.

Macdaddy4738
07-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Sorry to do this but, Every question you asked is awnsered in the FAQ, Atleast I think so.

how can all my questions be anwserd in the FAQ when i asked for your PERSONAL EXPERICENCE. I asked for what you use...not for what one single person uses.

pre98zetec
07-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Then there is no straight awnser, Everyone use's different supplies. It's all about taste I guess. Buy what you want.

Macdaddy4738
07-17-2004, 09:19 PM
im asking to see what the majority is so i can decide based on that. If your not going to anwser the questions why bother wasting the energy to type it :disappoin

pre98zetec
07-17-2004, 09:25 PM
im asking to see what the majority is so i can decide based on that. If your not going to anwser the questions why bother wasting the energy to type it :disappoinYou want awnser's, Fine I'll give them to you.

What brand primer do you reccommend? Ive heard Tamiya is the best stuff...but ive also heard of Automotive primers? What do you personally use? Duplicolor Filler primer

What brand paints do you reccommend? Id like to know both in Spray cans and in bottles of what brand. Tamiya or Duplicolor

What paints do you airbrush? Enamal, Arcrylic, Lacquer? Whats your choice and why??Acrylic, Easyer to clean

What clear coat have you had the best experience with? Ive heard bad stuff about Tamiya and Future Floor Polish and a few others. What brands do you use?? Duplicolor

Where do you get your sandpaper from?? Currently im using Testors Sanding films...which run out quick and are pretty small. Go to walmart and pick up 400,600,800,1200,and 2000 sheet's, They're cheap

What type of glue do you reccommend? I use Testors glue in the tube...but from what i hear this isnt the best to use. I usually just put a bit on a napkin and smear it on with an old knife blade. Super glue

A. General purpose...filling sink holes, minor scratches, closing seams. Do i use Epoxy for this?Super glue mixed with baby powder

B. Custom Body work...I heard Tamiya Epoxy is the best...any other brands out there?? Read above

Jaymes
I use Tamiya Acrylics for my airbrush... just painted my windows and they turned out great :):)

I use Krylon for primer... a bit "heavy" as someone said, but works fine if you sand it smooth before painting.

I got my sandpaper from Autozone.

I use Testor's glue in the bottle, however the glue always ends up melting my paint :( Is this common?

JTRACING
urethane clear is the absolute best you can use, its a 2 part clear, you can get it at any automotive paint store

Macdaddy4738
07-17-2004, 09:37 PM
i was planning on using Arcrylics to airbrush because i figured cleaning would be eaiser. I will most likely head to Wal Mart tomorrow sometime and get the sand paper..im in dire need haha.

JTRACING- do you airbrush urethane??

Okiemodelbuilder
07-17-2004, 09:44 PM
I am probably going to be purchasing a couple bottle of paint. I finally got an airbrush and i want to start airbrushing soon (although i will be forced to use the cans of air for a while :cwm27: )

Anyways...on to my questions.

What brand primer do you reccommend? Ive heard Tamiya is the best stuff...but ive also heard of Automotive primers? What do you personally use? I use Tamiya primers as well as Plastikote T-235 sandable gray primer

What brand paints do you reccommend? Id like to know both in Spray cans and in bottles of what brand. Spray paints: I like Tamiya sprays and have had good luck with Duplicolor and Plastikote auto touch up sprays. I've heard good things about the new Testors Lacquers but have not tried them yet. Bottle paints I use include HOK/Black Gold lacquers, Alclad, Tamiya and Testors.

What paints do you airbrush? Enamal, Arcrylic, Lacquer? Whats your choice and why??I use all three.

What clear coat have you had the best experience with? Ive heard bad stuff about Tamiya and Future Floor Polish and a few others. What brands do you use??Tamiya spray clear is good. I also use Duplicolor clear and have heard good things about Plastikote clear.

Where do you get your sandpaper from?? Currently im using Testors Sanding films...which run out quick and are pretty small. I buy my sandpaper at Wal-Mart. I use everything from 220 grit to 2000 grit 3M sandpaper. You can get 1000, 1500, and 2000 in the automotive dept.

What type of glue do you reccommend? I use Testors glue in the tube...but from what i hear this isnt the best to use. I usually just put a bit on a napkin and smear it on with an old knife blade. I use Testors liquid glue in the black plastic bottle some. Also use Ambroid Pro Weld, 5 min epoxy and super glue.

A. General purpose...filling sink holes, minor scratches, closing seams. Do i use Epoxy for this?

B. Custom Body work...I heard Tamiya Epoxy is the best...any other brands out there?? I use Eversoft Eurocoat automotive polyester body filler for all putty needs. You can get it at an auto body supply store. Use it outdoors because the fumes are potent.

Sorry for all the questions. Just being on here and reading stuff has confused me about which brand is better...what to get, stuff like that. If i find anymore questions i will add them in this thread.
I hope this helps. PM me if I can help you any more. Marc

Vric
07-17-2004, 09:46 PM
A. General purpose...filling sink holes, minor scratches, closing seams. Do i use Epoxy for this?Super glue mixed with baby powder

:lol: First Time I ear about that !!

pre98zetec
07-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Work's wonder's believe it or not.

Vric
07-17-2004, 09:53 PM
What brand primer do you reccommend? Ive heard Tamiya is the best stuff...but ive also heard of Automotive primers? What do you personally use?
Tamiya only

What brand paints do you reccommend? Id like to know both in Spray cans and in bottles of what brand.
Tamiya only for Spraycan. For bottle: Testor, Model Master, Tamiya, Humbrol

What paints do you airbrush? Enamal, Arcrylic, Lacquer? Whats your choice and why??
All of them. IF oyu have a good Thinner, it's easy to clean your airbrush (Acrylic isn't easier)

What clear coat have you had the best experience with? Ive heard bad stuff about Tamiya and Future Floor Polish and a few others. What brands do you use??
Tamiya. Duplicolor is ok too. Stay away from Testor

Where do you get your sandpaper from?? Currently im using Testors Sanding films...which run out quick and are pretty small. Hardware Store. from 320 grit to 2000 grit

What type of glue do you reccommend? I use Testors glue in the tube...but from what i hear this isnt the best to use. I usually just put a bit on a napkin and smear it on with an old knife blade.
Testor in Tube are the first way to scrap a model. Use ONLY liquid Glue. Testor Liquid, Tamiya or Humbrol

I use mainly Tamiya Basic Putty for everything.

B. Custom Body work...I heard Tamiya Epoxy is the best...any other brands out there??
Basic putty do the trick too, but Epoxy might be better, but harder to work with

Just remember, saving a buck isn't always the best idea. If you want a perfect model, you need to have skill, but also use the best supply

answer in red

Macdaddy4738
07-17-2004, 09:58 PM
thanks alot!!

I belive i will be ordering tomorrow possibly

tpliquid
07-17-2004, 11:44 PM
i use TAMIYA everything, tamiya paint, tamiya glue, tamiya sandpaper, tamiya putty, tamiya epoxy putty. i am biased because i only worked with tamiya products only. :) heheh

Macdaddy4738
07-18-2004, 12:28 AM
what grit sandpaper is your work horse type paper? The one which you use to clean up parts where you cut them off the tree?

Vric
07-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Take a look there for basinc about cutting ans assembly
http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/1.htm

Also few good basic tutorial by tamiya there:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/scale/beginner2/index.htm

There is also more advenced technic there:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/howto/howto_top.htm

Macdaddy4738
07-18-2004, 11:02 AM
thanks alot for those! those are pretty handy. What sandpaper do you use for general sanding though?

pre98zetec
07-18-2004, 11:58 AM
I use 3M sandpaper (Automotive), 800 to remove mold line's then sand the whole body smooth with 1500 before painting.

Vric
07-18-2004, 02:21 PM
thanks alot for those! those are pretty handy. What sandpaper do you use for general sanding though?

I have 320 (for big putty work) 400 600 800 and 1500 grit.

it's not for polishing, only for building

Macdaddy4738
07-18-2004, 03:18 PM
i use alot lower grits than that. I sand tree marks with 80-100-150 sand paper...depending on how high the mark is. Then progress to 250 all the way to 800. Is this not a good thing?

Vric
07-18-2004, 04:26 PM
I would say higher than 350 is too hard on plastic part.

Add your comment to this topic!