Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

3rd gen supra good for drifting?

gigglesnirt
07-17-2004, 07:32 PM
is the 3rd generation supra any good, or any other supras that are cheap good for drifting, i've heard the 3rd gen has a bad weight balance, also is the z31 300zx any good? dont know if someone has asked before srry if its a repost.

VQuick
07-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Both the MA70 Supra and Z31 300ZX ought to be okay. I saw a guy in an MA70 at a Drift Showoff, and he seemed to be doing okay.

The F31 Leopard(Infiniti M30 in the states), which shares a chassis with the Z31 300ZX, is a popular choice(for an old car) in Japan.

gigglesnirt
07-18-2004, 02:07 PM
hm i'll ahve to check uip o the inifiti, thanx for yur help

VQuick
07-18-2004, 03:34 PM
No prob. The Infiniti is a unique looking car. There weren't many sold in the US. You'll probably turn some heads with it.

One item for caution: They're all automatics, so if you don't mind doing a manual conversion, go for it. Might as well do a 300ZX turbo swap and kill two birds with one stone.

gigglesnirt
07-18-2004, 11:29 PM
im not really to into an engine swap for my first car, thats why i wanna get away from 240sx's and wutever, but i may have to

Suislide
07-22-2004, 05:24 PM
i had an Infiniti M30.

they weren't sold in Canada, but i got a US car that someone had brought up. i had big plans for it, like a Z31 turbo VG30 + 5-speed conversion, S13 suspension etc. but i drove it for all of a week before the tranny blew up. i didn't have enough money to fix it or swap it yet, so i just sold it.

they're hard to find, and hard to find parts for, although alot of 300ZX and R31 Skyline stuff is interchangeable.

Z31's are nice. i like the later ones better, with the light-bar that goes all the way across the back and the rounder front end (87-89 i think). the early ones are too...i dunno...tacky '80s-looking for me.

i've heard they have a weight problem though.

heard the same thing about MA/JZA70 Supra's. too fat to fuck (drift). but there's always ways around this and i've seen both cars sideways before.

if you have your heart set on a Supra, i've heard that the 2nd gen. (MA61) is alot lighter and more balanced. i also love the way they look.

gigglesnirt
07-22-2004, 08:52 PM
i may think of the 2nd gen then, i dunno im sure i'll find other cars to ask aobut too i've got aboot 6 months

lone_night_fox
07-25-2004, 09:23 PM
im not really to into an engine swap for my first car, thats why i wanna get away from 240sx's and wutever, but i may have to

the 240SX either Fast Back or Coupe require an engine swap to be great drifters... (KA24 is better for DRAG, SR20DET is better for Drift) also if you are going for a 240sx make sure it's a SE (LSD is a must to drift good, and smooth) Doglegging it dosent look as sweet. niether does Powerbraking a slide :loser: it's not necessary.. i can freakin get my FF to drift without a handbrake.... and the only reason it stops is beause I am in a FF so without using the handbrake mid drift I can't keep rear traction upeset very well...

drftk1d
07-26-2004, 12:13 AM
the 240SX either Fast Back or Coupe require an engine swap to be great drifters... (KA24 is better for DRAG, SR20DET is better for Drift)

If i hear that one more time, i swear...
That's some shit. Just because all of the drifters in D1 and FD have sr20's doesnt mean that cars without them cannot be great drifters. "Require" an engine swap? Get real. I think 150 ft lbs is enough to get a 2700-something pound car sideways.

also if you are going for a 240sx make sure it's a SE (LSD is a must to drift good, and smooth) Doglegging it dosent look as sweet. .

Nissan stock viscous lsds suck.

lone_night_fox
07-26-2004, 08:59 PM
If i hear that one more time, i swear...
That's some shit. Just because all of the drifters in D1 and FD have sr20's doesnt mean that cars without them cannot be great drifters. "Require" an engine swap? Get real. I think 150 ft lbs is enough to get a 2700-something pound car sideways.

Nissan stock viscous lsds suck.

I know why it's better... the powerband for the SR20 is higher in the rpm range... 6K-7K vs the KA's 4K-6K powerband... that is the reason I said what I said.. it has nothing to do with the D1 or anything like that. The reason I said what I did about the KA being better for drag is because it gets the power longer and sooner. that's the reason. also a LSD is better than no LSD anytime. you can always get a better one

xveganxcowboyx
07-27-2004, 03:43 PM
The mkiii supra drifts allright. It's heavy in the back so it's hard to get sideways, but once it's there it will stay there. Not the best though.

SR240Z
07-28-2004, 12:15 AM
its all possible with the right suspension and the power to kick the tail out

drftk1d
07-28-2004, 07:56 PM
I know why it's better... the powerband for the SR20 is higher in the rpm range... 6K-7K vs the KA's 4K-6K powerband... that is the reason I said what I said.. it has nothing to do with the D1 or anything like that. The reason I said what I did about the KA being better for drag is because it gets the power longer and sooner. that's the reason. also a LSD is better than no LSD anytime. you can always get a better one

I'm still unsure as to how haveing power higher in the rpm range is more advantaegous. But i agree with you that having any lsd is better than no lsd... i know.

Corey I RanciD
07-30-2004, 02:25 PM
the 240SX either Fast Back or Coupe require an engine swap to be great drifters... (KA24 is better for DRAG, SR20DET is better for Drift) also if you are going for a 240sx make sure it's a SE (LSD is a must to drift good, and smooth) Doglegging it dosent look as sweet. niether does Powerbraking a slide :loser: it's not necessary.. i can freakin get my FF to drift without a handbrake.... and the only reason it stops is beause I am in a FF so without using the handbrake mid drift I can't keep rear traction upeset very well...

If you're after performance a base model is the best way to go. It's significantly lighter than the SE because it doesn't have a sunroof, power locks, power windows, etc. (the sunroof alone weighs about 50 pounds). For that matter it doesn't even have map or footwell lights. You might as well start with a stripped down version, it'll be less work and money in the end. SEs also didn't have LSDs. In the United States the only S13 you're going to get with a stock LSD is a 91-93 SE hatchback with the HICAS package installed. A normal SE hatch doesn't have one. No Coupe, SE or no, has one. The LSD used is a viscous type. VLSDs are obviously better than nothing when they work, but after 13 years they're about as good as nothing considering most of them were probably never serviced. Someone looking to do any sort of serious drifting would upgrade to better LSD like a 2 way clutch type anyway.

1viadrft
07-30-2004, 03:32 PM
No offense but... Does anyone refer to the drift forum sticky's anymore?

BTW: Nice 240Z, SR240Z!!! That's awesome! I wanna get a 240Z or 260Z and do a cool engine swap like that myself!

Add your comment to this topic!