Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

just a question about crappy standard head units...

pw981
07-17-2004, 04:34 PM
I have a 2003 Renault Clio with the crap standard CD head unit in it, i think its 22w x 4 can't remember now, anyway I put some 6x9's in the rear.. i just disconnected the rear speakers and wired them up thru them, thing is.. the sound quality from comes out of the JBL 6x9's (soz cnt remember the spec's of them!) is CRAP! even the slightest amount of bass distorts and hardly any bass comes out of them at all anyway! All the bass comes out of the front, crappy standard speakers!! anyway is this because its a standard head unit and the amp is more powerful for the front speakers, or just wired wrong? (a professional place installed those dam jbl's!!) the 6x9's used to work fine in the rear of a citroen saxo standard head unit! =S thanks a lot for any help!

please don't just tell me to replace the head unit though even though it is simple, basic crap!

pw981
07-20-2004, 05:12 PM
can anyone help? =S

Haibane
07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Here is a theory... Speakers are not made for bass... They are made for midbass. Get subs if you want bass. I say you just abused them and ran them without a crossover, and now they are blown.

loismustdie
07-20-2004, 09:08 PM
or maybe this headunit is so crappy that it distorts at low volumes, or maybe there is a factory crossover or somthin that you missed...

mx6rrr
07-21-2004, 07:09 PM
your head unit is rated at 22x4 (or whatever) but thats max, itll be more around 12 watts rms x4, and those speakers (JBL 6x9) will be rated around 60-100 rms each...you need to amplify them. The other option would to be to get bass blockers (aka speaker savers) rated at like 150 or 200 hz. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!