Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Are Ferraris Reliable??

9eleventb0
07-17-2004, 04:33 PM
what is the quality/reliability of recent ferraris like the 360 and 575M? i realize that since they are high end sports cars they'll definitely need more expensive maintenance whether scheduled or not, but i've heard stories about little things breaking down or having factory problems from the get go......does anybody know reliability ratings for newer ferraris in terms of how many cars per 1000 (or whatever number it is) are problematic?

Viper 10
07-25-2004, 05:16 PM
The words reliability, quality and Ferrari are never uttered in the same sentence. They are NOT reliable and are very expensive to maintain. The newr V-12's have a dredded 10,000 mile "tune-up" that costs $29,000 to do. It is essentially a rebuild of the top end of the car (mainly valvetrain).

I have many friends who own these cars.

Brad

skak
08-04-2004, 09:40 AM
What????
I don't believe that a Ferrari need a 29,000 dollars engine maintenance after 10,000 miles... it's not possible. It could be 2,900 dollars. With 29,000 dollars they give you a new engine...
Do you work at Porsche?
Ferrari's engines are relaiable as normal cars engines.

TexasF355F1
08-04-2004, 07:04 PM
The newer Ferrari's are far more reliable than those of old. There are many people who drive their F355's, 550/575's, 360's and 456's on a daily or almost daily bases and have few problems. However, they do need scheduled maintanence as was said. I've never heard of a 10,000 mile tune up though. They are usually required b/w 20 and 30,000 mile range. Part of the reason for the cost is that the engines have to me removed from the bay to replace hoses, timing chains, belts, etc.

CraigFL
08-05-2004, 06:46 AM
The words reliability, quality and Ferrari are never uttered in the same sentence. They are NOT reliable and are very expensive to maintain. The newr V-12's have a dredded 10,000 mile "tune-up" that costs $29,000 to do. It is essentially a rebuild of the top end of the car (mainly valvetrain).

I have many friends who own these cars.

Brad

Brad... you need to get your facts straight. Talk to your "friends" again. Quality and reliability have to do with things working correctly during the ownership of the car. Preventative Maintenance costs cannot be included in this. Preventitive maintenance costs have always been high on supercars because of the high performance nature of the car. Things like 15K & 30K mile service isn't cheap but as a percentage of the vehicle cost is reasonable. Any 10K service that you say costs $29K was absolutely more than just preventative maintenance. Engine problems must have been revealed during the PM.

Craig ---- an "owner"

Jimster
08-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Ferrari's of new are most certainly reliable enough to own day to day. But if you're worried about reliability, then you're not really cut out to be a Ferrari owner, sorry, go buy a Porsche.

benf355
09-27-2004, 06:28 PM
my dad has two ferraris a 95, 355 and a 2004 360 and i know most people locally that have ferraris (including a enzo) and when it comes to mantaining them its it can be done anytime they feel that the car needs to have the timing belts cats etc done, my dad needs to get the 30k done on the 355 and it is going to cost around 30k because they are going to have to pull the motor and the replace alot as well as build most of the top end of the motor, regardless of the maintaining there is a guy that has driven his ferrari everyday (456 v12) and he has 150k miles on it what he claims is the key to the car is that he does not drive it like hes on the track everyday and he DOES drive it everyday so the belts dont have the chance to loosen and tighten which can wear them out, so when you speak about reliablility a ferrari is going to cost you a average of 20k a year just to keep it (payments, maintanence) if you cant afford that then im sorry dont buy one :(

Add your comment to this topic!