Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

evo-7 vs skyline r34

youngvr4
07-16-2004, 04:18 PM
which is the best performer?

drunken monkey
07-16-2004, 04:52 PM
hmmm, similar and yet so different.
we are talking stock, right?

i'm going to go with the evo.
it's smaller, lighter and has more bhp per ton,
slightly less torque but it all arrives earlier,
and has more of a race set up than the skyline.

lamehonda
07-16-2004, 04:55 PM
I voted for the evo for the same reason I am going to vote for bush this november

christophv
07-16-2004, 05:39 PM
definitely the skyline.
superior engine, superior technology
whatev, it's a 50k car and worth it!

1/4 mile - stock for stock, it would be a drivers race.
track - godzilla destroys little evo
rally - evo wins, I'd say

they are too different. the evo is more a rally car than a drag/drift/track car. and in those other three categories, the skyline wins

youngvr4
07-16-2004, 06:23 PM
oh really?

i just got done watching a video of a evo-7 gsr beating
porche carrera
skyline R34
bmw m3
nsx
wrx
and rx-7

actually the evo-7 beat them pretty bad. the evo-7 and skyline started in the same place.

funny thing is the skyline had a hard time getting past the porche wich was in 3rd place, while the evo-7 just blew past it.

these are all stock cars. and was done on a slippery track, but a track indeed.

also most handling imo has more to do with the driver than anything. so i'm not saying that since the evo-7 one that race that its a proven fact its faster. but it beat those cars bad enough that if they battled head to head it seems that it would be a good race.

3000ways
07-16-2004, 06:36 PM
I agree with youngvr4, stock for stock, it's a close battle. Tuning is a different story. But it's very close when stock for stock.

christophv
07-16-2004, 06:42 PM
yeah well it's ridiculous they don't use the Evo in JGTC for example, right? :wink:

I just see the stats on paper, see what you can get out of an RB26, see features like ATTESA-ETS etc.

Yes, maybe this sounds like "no-the-skyline-is-simply-better-than-anything" but heck, I'm sure you checked out the Noble M12 vs Turbo CRX vid.
And that Evo vs. all those other cars ist just another video where underrated cars do incredible things. Maybe it's just because of the drivers? Do you think you could beat a professional in lets say an Evo or STI with an Enzo?
But get that Evo in JGTC or LeMans and such, it'll be destroyed.

Not sure about a Skyline in the dirt, has this ever been done? :)

cu

drunken monkey
07-16-2004, 06:44 PM
superior engine, superior technology
which is why i would consider the evo a 'better' car because it is so close to what the skyline does but with less of everything (super trick yaw control aside...)
i mean, for a start,
2.0 litre in line 4 turbo vs 2.6 v6 twin turbo.
let's not even mention the slew of electronics in the skyline...

these are all stock cars. and was done on a slippery track
a slippery track is the natural stomping grounds of the evo.
how did the wrx do?

also, just cos the skyline also has 4wd capability, doesn't mean that is is 'the same' as the evo and wrx.
it is a different type of car.
it is bigger, heavier and more comfortable (in japanese terms...) than the evo.
the skyline isn't a rally based car.
it is more of a grand tourer/coupe than an out and out sports car.

stick them both on a dry track and i'll go with the skyline (but only just)
i said that the evo would be quicker but i meant on real world roads where you the short gearing would play a natural advantage.

christophv
07-16-2004, 06:56 PM
I understand your point about the 280 hp out of an 2l-4cyl vs the 2.6l-6cyl.
But you know, the Skyline is kinda "how many hp do you want?
With very very small modifications the skyline brings out ~320hp, as we all know the 280hp-limit was due to the japanese gov agreement.

drag-wise, 9s evos are possible. But there are lots of 8s skylines.

I agree with you about the GT-character of a skyline. That's why I brought up the JGTC/Le Mans thing, it's a true sports car build for races.

The Evo also is, but everyone who ever saw a rally knows it's roaring, careless, yet destructive character.

still go with the skyline
I always question myself, if I sat in an Evo, would I race a Skyline R34 GT-R? No. (well, I'd tried it anyways just to see the skyline do racing)
If I sat in a Skyline, would I race the Evo? Yes.

TatII
07-16-2004, 08:35 PM
youngvr4 you happen to watch hte issue of bestmotoring when it was a rain battle with the m3. watch other battles where they raced up to 10 cars.

the EVO 7 RS
EVO 7 GSR
STI type RA
STI
RX-7 RS
RX-7 RZ
NSX type S
NSX type S zero
and hte R34 GT-R

and the R34 came out victorious in that ultimate comparison.

also watch the issue where they were racing hte porsche 911 turbo.

the Skyline was a good amount ahead of the EVO 7 GSR and the R34 was right on the 911 turbo's ass

also watch the issue where they raced the

R34 against the EVO 7 GSR, STi type RA, RX-7 type RZ, and NSX type S zero. once again the R34 was victorious.

and about you guys saying the EVO has a better power to weight ratio. well its known that R34's are actually putting down close to 350whp completely stock. try looking it up in the british skyline club owners websites and you'll see.

even though the EVO 7 GSR is a really nice car, esp for the money, compared to a R34, it would be a close race. but usually on a average size track, the skyline is faster on long sweepers, and has waaay more pulling power up top, esp when its a up hill sweeper. in those videos that i mentioned, try lookin for them on the web and you'll see that the GT-R wins most of hte races.

try looking at

www.gtrcentral.com and look at the race videos.

i'm goin to link you to some.

right click and save as

http://www.gtrcentral.com/movies/gtr/r34/5_R34_VSPECII_Trackbattle.mpg

and here is the one with the 966 turbo that i'm talkin about

http://www.gtrcentral.com/movies/gtr/general/track_battle_911_gtr.wmv

i can't link you the 10 car battle one becuasw ei own that issue of bestmotoring, and its in chinese on VCD

3000ways
07-16-2004, 09:42 PM
I agree with you guys who say that all around performance of the Skyline is better, but somebody mentioned destroy and sorry destroy isn't happending. Stock for stock the Skyline is the better car, but the gap between the two isn't very large. As far as tuning, the Skyline is one of the best, but don't underestimate the EVO either as competetion. The EVO has also proven itself, have you ever heard of the HKS EVO TRB-02, yeah the one that set and still holds the Tuskuba Track record. Also in a recent Time Attack Battle hosted by the Sport Compact Car and Super Street, the Signal Skyline posted the fastest times of the day. The funny thing is that the Signal Skyline was a substitute for another car that Signal was suppose to use. You see the Skyline is the drag car, for most of their track events, they use their dedicated time attack car, which is, an EVO. Not saying the EVO is better, because I would buy a Skyline in a heartbeat over an EVO, but the performance gap isn't as great as some of you imagine, especially stock for stock.

elmnts of trnce
07-17-2004, 01:23 AM
lol if u had a chance to get either an evo 7 or a skyline, wat would u REALLY pick? cmon lol

kman10587
07-17-2004, 01:33 AM
I'd pick the Evo 7 GSR. Not kidding.

CrzyMR2T
07-17-2004, 01:51 AM
you know the sti spec c laps slightly quicker than the evo gsr. im not sure about wet conditions though, i think the evo's superior electronics should help it handle better in the wet. the evo uses more electronics, while the sti uses balance more.

youngvr4
07-17-2004, 04:57 AM
yeah the sti was back a ways and the rx-7 was last. it can't handle the wet. but the carrera did very well considering it was wet and its rwd. it was directly behind the skyline

CrzyMR2T
07-17-2004, 10:23 AM
yeah the sti was back a ways and the rx-7 was last. it can't handle the wet. but the carrera did very well considering it was wet and its rwd. it was directly behind the skyline

so which bmi was this? i always look at quickest lap times, not whoever wins the race when they all go at once, cause the faster cars are in the back of the grid, and the cars in front of them just slow them down sometimes.

3000ways
07-17-2004, 01:05 PM
so which bmi was this? i always look at quickest lap times, not whoever wins the race when they all go at once, cause the faster cars are in the back of the grid, and the cars in front of them just slow them down sometimes.

I believe that is the BMI video the "EVO Strikes Back" or "Roaring VTech", I believe the EVO did have some of the quickest laps. Still the course and driver can have huge influence. The last BMI video "Fuji Fast" was held at Fuji Raceway which has very long straights, and the European cars just ate up the AWD Japanese Turbos =(

youngvr4
07-17-2004, 02:29 PM
no its "m3 takes on jdm super sports"

both the skyline and the evo-7 started in the very back and evo-7 jumped in first place before the 1st lap was over. the skyline finally got in front on the last lap toward the end by getting past the carrera porche

3000ways
07-17-2004, 02:36 PM
My bad... Got them mixed up, saw that one too. That was perhaps my favorite of them too. Did anyone see the "Rotary Reborn" one, man the way all the cars including the Base WRX and Integra (RSX) Type R just left the RX-8 behind in the straights was just sad. Woops going off topic, um, GO EVO!!!

drunken monkey
07-17-2004, 08:02 PM
..but then a slightly new way of looking at things.
if you had to drive across town, would you rather do it in a screaming evo?
or nice and comfy skyline?

can't just say one car is better cause it might a couple of seconds faster around a track.
after all,
what's two seconds when the journey takes an hour or two?

kman10587
07-17-2004, 08:22 PM
I'd still rather have an Evo. The Skyline GT-R is too heavy for my tastes, even if it can handle the weight.

TatII
07-18-2004, 11:21 PM
i just bought the recent issue of BMI called SKYLINE GT-R the prodigy. and they raced the R32, R33, R34, EVO 8 GSR, STi spec C, and the V35 Skyline coupe. the R34 again is victorious.

3000ways
07-18-2004, 11:55 PM
i just bought the recent issue of BMI called SKYLINE GT-R the prodigy. and they raced the R32, R33, R34, EVO 8 GSR, STi spec C, and the V35 Skyline coupe. the R34 again is victorious.

How did all the cars do?

TatII
07-19-2004, 08:49 PM
the R32 v-spec II was dead last. ( however looking at previous episodes from 94 when the car was brand new, it was posting lap times 2 seconds faster then the one in this video at tsukuba circuit )

the V35 Skyline was right in front of it posting the exact same best lap times.

the R33 GT-R v-spec was slightly ahead of the rear pack.

the EVO 8 GSR was in 3rd place waaaay ahead of the last 3 places

the STi spec C took the EVO 8 on the very last straight on lap 5.

the R34 GT-R v-spec was like 5-6 cars ahead of the Spec C.

youngvr4
07-19-2004, 11:35 PM
nice

CrzyMR2T
07-20-2004, 12:00 AM
I believe that is the BMI video the "EVO Strikes Back" or "Roaring VTech", I believe the EVO did have some of the quickest laps. Still the course and driver can have huge influence. The last BMI video "Fuji Fast" was held at Fuji Raceway which has very long straights, and the European cars just ate up the AWD Japanese Turbos =(

in that bmi video evo strikes back, the evo won, when all the cars went at the same time, but the spec c got the quickest lap time. the spec c was put in the very back of the grid, while the gsr was somewhere in the front.

aznxthuggie
07-20-2004, 12:58 AM
so the winner doesn't matter that much rigth? u gotta look into the lap times and stuff also.. oo i c

edit:
sorry for being just a lil off topic.. but in best motoring.. they seem to think the skyline r34 vspec 2 is the god on straights.. especially when it comes to a wet track or something.. just curious why they think so

youngvr4
07-20-2004, 03:17 AM
i don't know but on this wet track the evo-7 won the race and had the fastest lap time

3000ways
07-20-2004, 09:49 AM
I guess because on the straights the V-Spec is a monster, when compared to the EVO and STI, but I think 'Fuji Fast' showed that it's not quite there yet when compared to the High End European Sports Cars. I wonder how the 2007 Skyline GT-R will do, if especially if it has the rumored 450HP.

TatII
07-20-2004, 08:42 PM
well in those bmi videos. it shows just how underrated the GT-R is. the EVO 8 is rumored to be pushing 300hp. and the GT-R would just leave it on the highend pretty easily. and this is a car that is 300 lbs heavier.

jcsaleen
07-22-2004, 04:30 PM
A evo 7 gsr no way in hell. A skyline gtr 99 non v spec maybe but not an o1 R34 GTR V-spec II no way superior race technology. A v spec a little more racing tuned then a reg but a V-spec II is way more more racing tuned then a an evo and a 99 r34 gtr. Also a 2-6k increase for a v spec. The skyline is 2x the trackcar then the evo ok maybe an evo 8 mr but not a 7 plus the dosent have the attessa system so the skyline would match it in accel as well. A V spec II beats a porsche carrera 03 off the line sry boys but no way would the evo get the jump. The evo is meant for rally not track. As stated b4 the skyline dominated soo much in JGTC that they are the only team with added kilos on there car on top of penaltys! There is no evo in there because it is a rally car & it is a sedan.

jcsaleen
07-22-2004, 04:55 PM
Hey look what popd out of the garage an evo 7 race car hmm
http://rbmotoring.com/albums/album161/acm.jpg

Still wont beat a an r34 gtr v spec II(2) (with the same mods as the evo of course)

youngvr4
07-22-2004, 05:17 PM
A evo 7 gsr no way in hell. A skyline gtr 99 non v spec maybe but not an o1 R34 GTR V-spec II no way superior race technology. A v spec a little more racing tuned then a reg but a V-spec II is way more more racing tuned then a an evo and a 99 r34 gtr. Also a 2-6k increase for a v spec. The skyline is 2x the trackcar then the evo ok maybe an evo 8 mr but not a 7 plus the dosent have the attessa system so the skyline would match it in accel as well. A V spec II beats a porsche carrera 03 off the line sry boys but no way would the evo get the jump. The evo is meant for rally not track. As stated b4 the skyline dominated soo much in JGTC that they are the only team with added kilos on there car on top of penaltys! There is no evo in there because it is a rally car & it is a sedan.

i don't know buddy, that evo-7 in the rain had the fastest lap time and won the race, and started in the same place the skyline started from.

jcsaleen
07-22-2004, 05:29 PM
i don't know buddy, that evo-7 in the rain had the fastest lap time and won the race, and started in the same place the skyline started from.

Thats cause of rain :mad:. The evo would get ripped apart on a dry track.

youngvr4
07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
maybe

CrzyMR2T
07-22-2004, 07:33 PM

which bmi was this? did you get that time from time attack where they all went one at a time, not all at the same time? they ll have quickest lap times for when all the cars went at once, but thats not what you want to look at, you wanna look at the time attack times.

jcsaleen
07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
It was think about it lighter (less slip) rain causes even more slip for the skyline considering its 300 pounds more maybe less cause its an V spec which means more racing performance parts and lighter weight too. It the Equvilent to the Nsx-R.

Add your comment to this topic!