Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another strut post

aberk62
07-15-2004, 07:00 PM
What is the problem with Toyota's struts? I have a 1997 Toyota Camry and had to replace front struts about 4 years ago. Recently we bought a 1998 Avalon (original owner replaced right front strut in 2002) and now everytime the car hits a bump in the road, it sounds like the left side is rattling. I had a mechanic look at it and was told that the left strut and strut mount has to be replaced. Here's the question... the mechanic said that the right way is to replace both sides even if the right side was already replaced. Is this true? He quoted me ~$400 for both sides.

yotatechie04
08-27-2004, 11:20 PM
They recommend that you replace both sides at the same time, but it's not needed. It's easier on you and the mechanic if you have them both changed at the same time rather than at different times. Struts are supposed to be changed at every 70,000 miles I do believe, so if they last longer than that, consider yourself lucky. If I were you, I would just go and replace the driver's side. No mechanic can tell you what you "have" to do with your car.

resmo
01-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I just had this problem on a 97 that I purchased, it's not the strut itself but the top piece that the strut fits into. The piece runs about $65 per side and the book says .7 of an hour to install each side. This cured my noise and is said to be a very common problem with the Avalon. Hope this helps...Bob (resmo)

Add your comment to this topic!