Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Opinions on prepping 95 GSR

klb
07-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Hey all! I'm new to the forums - I have recently been offered a (free! :biggrin:)95 GSR 4dr to use as a project car. Its in pretty sad condition however, and I'm trying to figure out what it would take to get it street/track worthy again and if its worth it. Hoping some people more familiar with these cars can give me opinions.

Stuff I know it needs: brakes (vibrate like hell and the rotors don't look so good), suspension work (new shock, springs... anything that can wear out has), a really good clean out... I don't believe its had anything but the oil changed in about 4 years... so all fluids, filters, belts, etc. Paint, would probably just be looking to seal any rust prone areas and maybe some home repair (I already have a nice looking car - this one can be ugly as hell if it wants). Eventually a new engine or rebuild (motor is so-so. I think a large part of the problem is maintence related. It does run, but sounds pained over about 4500rpm. Its also got around 120k on it. I would be looking to get it to a point I could limp it through another 5-10k of abuse and then rebuild or swap the engine).

On the upside: the body is in OK shape (besides paint), the electrical system seems good, the tranny is in good condition (and the clutch is only about 5-10k old). Brake master has been replaced recently and other than what I think is rotor warpage seems OK.

I am not looking to make this car pretty, or a good daily driver. It will be used as a rallycross/track beater. It doesn't need to be fast right now, just solid and predictable. I'm currently just worried about getting it cleaned up and road/track worthy, I'm also going to be wanting to put in a rollbar or cage, race seats and harnessess and am looking into what's available there...

Opinions? Generally what do these cars like (as far as replacing fluids, filters, struts, springs, rotors, brake pads, other)? Are they easy/hard to get parts for? Easy/hard to work on? Are there any things in particular I could look at doing to improve handling (<-main concern), or major weak points I'll need to overcome?

Thanks in advance!

SpaceManSpiff
07-15-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure about the hardcore mechanical stuff, as I usually take mine to a mechanic for that kinda thing, but in terms of handling either coilovers or shocks/springs, sway bar, wheels and sticky tires, and maybe some chassis braces and you're good to go. Parts are easy as hell to get. Not sure how hard they are to work on, ask a local mechanic or tuning shop.

b18 ls
07-15-2004, 03:07 PM
First, congrats on the new car. Well at least it's new to you. You should have no problem getting parts for this car (OEM and aftermarket). If your are on a budget, you can go to http://www.ebay.com/ and type in what you want. IE: integra seats, racing seats, skunk2 springs, integra sway bar, AEM intake, ect............ Anything you want for that car can pretty much be bought on EBAY. You can also order the harder to get parts out of Import Tuner mags. There are so many parts for engine and suspension that it would be pointless to give you suggestions. You just have to read up on the diffrent products and choose which one fits your goals. Once you decide on certain products, you can post your choice and ask for suggestions. For example, I think skunk2 makes great honda products, but I would buy the HP coil overs before the skunk2 springs (unless I got a great deal on the skunk2's) Reason for this is, HP coil overs are just as good, but half the price. Good luck with the car.......fish

genkichild
07-15-2004, 03:14 PM
I would do a full tune and see where you stand before starting anything at all. That said...
If your brakes shimmy, they are probably warped like my grandpa's records, get some new rotors and pads. AEM makes a big break kit that includes big rotors and caliper mounts, but uses your stock calipers. Better stopping power at about the price you would pay a dealer for small stock rotors.
autopower makes reasonably priced roll cages for teg's that meet SCCA approval, if you are going to the track.
Check the regulations of the division you will be racing in before you do anything, you may find something as simple as gutting the interrior and putting in seats will throw you into a modified category you aren't ready for.
Sucks you cant go above 4500rpm. Thats almost where it starts to get good. You aren't even hitting the vtec point.
You may want to see if the pained sound is coming from the exhaust manifold. They tend to rust and wear out around 100k and sound like a loud grating sound, like gravel on a vibrating tin sheet.
good luck

klb
07-15-2004, 04:46 PM
There are so many parts for engine and suspension that it would be pointless to give you suggestions
Hmm... and the fact that there are so many options was why I was looking for ideas too! I'm not sure where to start...

I would do a full tune and see where you stand before starting anything at all.

That's the plan... well ok first the car's just getting CLEANED (I think the engine compartment's been cleaned/degreased never :shakehead , and the rest of it could stand a clean up so I can do a better visual inspection), but I was planning to get it all tuned up and fix the brake problem and then re-evaluate things. I'm 90% sure its a rotor issue, I was just going to go with brembo blanks in stock size though since this car will have gravel tires on it some of the time (15in rims) and I'm not sure I could go much bigger..?

Regulation & classing wise I'm not expecting problems, for now the car's going to be only doing rallycross (divided into 2wd/4wd & natural/forced unless its a full on rallycar) and DE type track days - if it autocrosses (possibly) It wouldn't be for points anyway. If it does ever get to a point of full race prep it will be aimed for the G2 SCCA rally class, which is pretty open (basically so long as it meets safety standards and has a NA Honda/Acura motor it should all be good).

Speaking of Autopower cage - does anyone have pics of it in a 4dr? I pretty sure its not rally legal and I'm not sure if it would be worth looking at modifying to make it legal (one reason I am considering a bar instead - it's easier to cut it out later and replace with a legal cage than put in one that will need a lot of work to pass tech, but I do want SOMETHING in there now since rollover's hardly unheard of on gravel).

genkichild
07-16-2004, 09:13 AM
For suspension you could check out Tein. I got a set of coilovers and I love them. They make a rally coilover also, I think. They also support a in dash computer so you can adjust the dampening on the fly.

SpaceManSpiff
07-16-2004, 07:40 PM
I think you can fit the AEM big brake kit under 15 inchers. You will want to upgrade your pads regardless, and ditto for the brake lines.

Add your comment to this topic!