Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Buick Park Ave Brake Warning Light Coming On

ryanr748
07-15-2004, 10:16 AM
My brakes failed recently and I had to apply the emergency brake hard to stop. When returning home the brakes appeared to be working but not that well. I replaced the master cylinder and the brakes work o.k. now. Since replacing the MC, the brake warning light comes on and the warning signal sounds when starting up and driving the car. While driving the light and sound will come on and go off but the brakes appear to be working o.k. The fluid in the MC does not look low when checked. Within the last year a rear rear wheel cylinders was leaking so I replace both rear wheel cylinders. (1) Will the brake warning light come on if the brakes need to be bled. Also, I was told there is a special sequence for bleeding the brake system on GM cars. (2) Can someone tell me the correct bleedcing sequence. Thanks. R. Ryan.

rotaran
07-15-2004, 11:31 AM
I have a scan of the concerning pages in my photo gallery. Hope that helps.

Mike

ryanr748
07-15-2004, 09:07 PM
I have a scan of the concerning pages in my photo gallery. Hope that helps.

Mike

Mike: Thanks for the quick reply and information. The pages you sent me had the bleeding sequence I wanted. Will bleed brakes in next day or two and see if that solves brake warning light problem. Will post results in case anyone else has similar problem. Ray

yogi_123rd
07-16-2004, 11:26 AM
I think you may be wasting your time bleeding the brakes. The problem is in the master cylinder. I had this simular situation happen to me where after doing a panic braking manuver to avoid an accident, my brake light would stay on forever.The mechanic who looked at the problem told me that the low fluid/no brakes sensor uses some small internal piece to create a circuit. A panic stop jams this piece in the "on" position and it fails to spring back. So, where did this replacement master cylinder come from or did you reuse the old sensor.
Also, removing the wire to this sensor may turn off the warning light (but also disable the warning system).

Add your comment to this topic!