Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What's causing a chirping squeeking sound when I go over bumps and in turn

bcarlson11
07-14-2004, 06:13 PM
First, my compliments to all those who follow this forum and provide much valuable advice.

I have a 1995 Aurora with 100K miles plus and have noticed for the last year a high pitched chirping or squeeking sound when I go over bumps and make turns. Its sounds like worn out bushings, but based on everyone's experience, what is the likely explanation and cheapest way to repair. Doesn't happen when accelerating, stopping or level driving.
Thanks,
Bcarlson

ugsrich
07-14-2004, 06:54 PM
I've had this problem off and on for years. It's a chirp chirp chirp in a turn (typically a right turn for me). I discovered, after careful deductive analysis, that the noise was coming from the upper area of the front strut mount. Procedure #2 solves my problem. I've added some additional sugestions that I used as part of my "deductive analysis".

The remedy:

1. Purchase an aerosol can of Silicon Spray Lubricant (NOT spray oil or any other petroleum based lubricant - Silicon Spray Lubricant ONLY!) Get a can that has one of those 6" tubes that will help you direct the appication.

2. Open the hood of the car and stand adjacent one of the front wheels and look down at the top of the strut tower mount. You'll see a rather large nut that secures the strut to the mount assembly. Around that area you should notice that the strut tower (painted your Aurora's color) is sort of like open. Poke the tube in that area and spray some of the Silicon Lubrication around inside there. (Repeat this on the opposite side of your vehicle.)

3. Test vehicle to determine if the chirp is gone.

4. If chirp is not gone park your vehicle and turn your wheels completely to the right (or left) to give you access underneath. Turn off the vehicle. Poke your head between the tire and wheel well and notice where the spring is secured at the top and bottom of the strut assembly. Using the same Silicon Lubricant, spray some at the point where the spring makes contact with upper and lower spring seat. (Turn wheel in the opposite direction, turn off the vehicle, and repeat on the opposite side.)

Note: Use care not to get lubricant overspray on brake rotors. Caution, if you've just returned home and the vehicle is still warm your brake rotors and other components may be hot too. Don't burn yourself. Read the warnings on the Silicon Spray Can.

The tone of this may seem condesending. However, I am not familiar with your mechanical aptitude or your skill and knowledge in automobile repair/maintenance. Please do not take offense.

philipja
07-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Can this silicon spray also be used to coat the rubber bushings around the car? Meaning the suspension bushings so as to protect the and help keep the from cracking. Is the reason you say silicon and not petroleum because of eating at the rubber parts?

ugsrich
07-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Petroleum based lubricants are generally bad for many of the rubber components on the vehicle. Naturally, there are some components that are designed to accomodate/tolerate petroleum lubricants. I always opt for the silicon lubricants for rubber pieces that are exposed to the elements.

I don't know of any reason why a silicon lubricant should not be used on the various mounting gromets used on the suspension components (such as those of the stabilize bar for example). I have not done that myself and can not comment specifically. I would consult the owner's manual at the very least to see if there are any specific guidelines or recommendations.

Naturally, specific grease specifications are called out for the ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc. Use ONLY the manufacturer's recommendations for these components.

onehunglow
08-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Had this same problem - drove me nuts

Turned out it was coming from INSIDE the car, inside the panel that is above the drivers legs - snap off and wiggle (shake) the metal panel - if that causes the sound again, tighten all those screws TIGHT

peace at last......

tdf27
08-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks ugsrich,

Had exacly the same problem (right turns only) and your fix worked perfectly.

cheers.

IT Geek
03-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Just wanted to add my name to the list of those who no longer have that chirp, as well as the popping sounds from the front. I used the silicone spray as prescribed on both of my front struts and there is peace and quiet from them at last.

Thanks for the great tip. I could have blindly replaced my struts and shelled out some bucks in the process. A $4 can of silicon spray is definitely a great bargain!

newscarver
06-06-2006, 04:20 AM
thanks uqsrich....that silicone spray tip is gold...no more sqeeks , chirps that had me scratching my head,car is quiet again...news

Add your comment to this topic!