Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

compound over decal

thizishkenny
07-14-2004, 04:19 PM
I was wondering after you put a decal on could you just use rubbing compound over it or do you have to clear coat then rub it. I'm at this point in my model but don't know what to do and btw it is a cf hood decal or supposed to be anyway.

JTRACING
07-14-2004, 04:42 PM
CF decals look better once you clearcoat them.

i dont think its a good idea to use rubbing compund over decals that arent clear coated, it is a harsh substance that will remove paint inorder to produce a perfect finsih,

you can use it before you put decals on, or after you clearcoat the decals

ProSStreet
07-14-2004, 05:03 PM
i would definately clear it first, rubbing a bare decal is just asking for trouble

thizishkenny
07-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Oh ok thanks a lot for the help

primera man
07-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Dont compound it...use wax if you dont want to clear coat them

tcho1120
07-14-2004, 06:09 PM
I'd recommend you to spray a coat of smoke color on the carbon fibre. I've learned it from another model forum and the result turned out great. it looks more realistic than just clearcoating it. hope it helps.

bvia
07-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Dont compound it...use wax if you dont want to clear coat them

I second what PDaddy says. Compounding over a bare, unprotected decal will simply remove the ink layers on the decal...If it's a metallic CF decal (i.e. SMS) you'll remove the dark top layer and end up with metallic streaks...

Carnuba wax is good for bare decals as is overcoating the CF decals with Johnson's Future/Kleer/Klere/Klare/howeveryaspeelitinyourcountry floor wax. You can always mix Tamiya Flat base (X-21?) to vary the amount of shine in the Future.

hth,
Bill

MPWR
07-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I'd recommend you to spray a coat of smoke color on the carbon fibre. I've learned it from another model forum and the result turned out great. it looks more realistic than just clearcoating it. hope it helps.
:iagree:

Many CF decals (like SMS) are much too bright- carbon fiber only looks that bright when illuminated by a strobe flash for photography. Toning them down by spraying something like Tamiya smoke gives them a much more scale appearence.

Vric
07-15-2004, 02:31 PM
I tryed it (coumpound over CF decal)

even if the decal didn't bend or anything, that don't give you anything. so just don't do it since it'S useless

Add your comment to this topic!