Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ok, gonna get an mr2 for drifting

iLuBSkylines
07-14-2004, 02:12 PM
however i have heard it has alot of oversteer and even keiichi tsuchiya said "if you can drift in an mr2, you can drift in anything"

now what would u guys say for a first time drifterl ike myself, getting a car like the mr2?

however, in my area, theres alot of non turbo, older version of the mr2, around late 80's and early 90's, would these be good drift cars regardless of the lack of the turbo power?

are the newest mr2's good for drifting also?

MR2Driver
07-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Im going to stick by my opinion that no car is "good for drifting" but a few cars can be made to be. All that it takes is balance between power, suspension, traction and braking.

But the MR2 turbo can work for drifting, and if you can drift it you can drift anything, but the SW20 wouldnt be in my top 5 drift cars for these reasons:

1. They are rare, and if broken, expensive and hard to replace. Drift cars go through hell, you'd want something cheaper thats also a dime a dozen, like an old Nissan FR or RX-7 FC.

2. Your margin for error, or should i say buffer zone between countersteering and oversteering would be smaller, because the rear end is so tail happy.

3. Drift cars get banged up, and i'd hate to see less MR2's on the roads. Bad drivers have already broken most of the ones shipped to our shores.

4. There are better suited cars for drifting. MR is a racing layout, and not ideal for drifting.

drftk1d
07-14-2004, 05:28 PM
1. They are rare, and if broken, expensive and hard to replace. Drift cars go through hell, you'd want something cheaper thats also a dime a dozen, like an old Nissan FR or RX-7 FC.

3. Drift cars get banged up, and i'd hate to see less MR2's on the roads. Bad drivers have already broken most of the ones shipped to our shores.

so its ok if a s13 or fc gets banged up!?!?!?

jk :rofl:

Are you gonna get this mr2 just for drifting?

VQuick
07-14-2004, 06:40 PM
however i have heard it has alot of oversteer and even keiichi tsuchiya said "if you can drift in an mr2, you can drift in anything"

Sounds like Tsuchiya was basically saying 'If you have the skill and experience needed to drift an MR2, you can drift in anything.' It isn't easy. How many D1 drivers do you see with mid-engined cars?

now what would u guys say for a first time drifterl ike myself, getting a car like the mr2?

Not to. I'd dare to go out on a limb and say it isn't even a good beginner's car for grip driving.

however, in my area, theres alot of non turbo, older version of the mr2, around late 80's and early 90's, would these be good drift cars regardless of the lack of the turbo power?

You can try if you want. At least get the older AW11 so that if you wreck it, you didn't invest as much as if you'd gotten an SW20/21.

are the newest mr2's good for drifting also?

The MR2 Spyder? Probably not. You'd run into the same problems as with the other MR2s, except you might also have less structural rigidity because it's a droptop. Being such a new model only makes things worse, since it will be fairly expensive to get one.

iLuBSkylines
07-15-2004, 04:23 PM
hmm ok thanks, what are some good beginnerish drift cars BESIDES the 240sx theres soo many in vegas, i'd like to get something different....also i'd like to stick to japanese cars for perference...so now crown vics eh ^^

VQuick
07-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Maybe a Z31 300ZX? They're old, and might be in the same price range as a 240SX. You won't necessarily need an engine swap either. Some came turbocharged with a 200hp VG30ET from the factory. If not, they had the 162hp VG30E. If you felt so inclined, an RB20DET would work too, since they came equipped that way in Japan.

If you want to be a bit different/stylish, you can get an F31 Infiniti M30. They are somewhat forgotten and unloved, so you might be able to get one cheap. There's one in my area(Houston) for only $1695. It shares a lot of parts with the Z31, and the VG30ET swap will work. You'll probably need to convert the tranny though, since I think all M30's were automatic.

drftk1d
07-15-2004, 08:50 PM
^ I've heard that the F31 is a close relative of the R31.

Is this true?

VQuick
07-16-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure about that part. I know the Z31 and F31 are related. They all probably share some parts, but I just don't know if the relation to the R31 is as close. Could be, since the RB20DET from the R31 was also available in the Z31 and should swap into the F31.

NSX-R-SSJ20K
07-20-2004, 09:00 AM
If you buy drift bible he tells you how to drift it. And it involves a very small turn in - ie spins easy

fubo.x
07-20-2004, 10:16 AM
The MR2 Spyder? Probably not. You'd run into the same problems as with the other MR2s, except you might also have less structural rigidity because it's a droptop. Being such a new model only makes things worse, since it will be fairly expensive to get one.

The Spyder also has a sequential transmission. The MR-S has a proper manual, but not sure if it's for sale in the US.

VQuick
07-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Yeah, our MR2 Spyder had a standard manual for a while, then the sequential became an option.

Add your comment to this topic!