Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 dodge ram 150 LE

wolfewynd
07-14-2004, 09:03 AM
im having some trouble w/ the electrical problem w/ my dodge. It has a 318 ( v8 ) in it. I have replaced the starter,ignition switch,and starter relay w/ no avail and still wont start. I can start the truck when when i cross the starter seliond, but the only problem i have when i do that is the stater wont shut off after i do that. Any suggestions ??????????

thanx,
donald

BleedDodge
07-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Dodge is notorious for eating ballast resistors. You should always carry spares.

praisethelowered
07-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Check the fuasable links going to the ignition switch. I had the same problem on my truck (same model and year), and one of the links (there's 4 at 1 junction coming off the battery) was blown. It looked ok at first (insulation was still intact), but the wire inside was completely blown. A quick check is to disconect the harness from the ignition switch, and check the leads going to the switch. 4 of the wires should be hot (12V), I forget which colors though. The colors should be the same as the fusable links. The links are on the inside of the driver's side fender.

vaughnone4
08-08-2004, 05:23 PM
im having some trouble w/ the electrical problem w/ my dodge. It has a 318 ( v8 ) in it. I have replaced the starter,ignition switch,and starter relay w/ no avail and still wont start. I can start the truck when when i cross the starter seliond, but the only problem i have when i do that is the stater wont shut off after i do that. Any suggestions ??????????

thanx,
donald
I am having some what of the same problem with my 87 ram 150 with a 318 v8. The truck will start when it is cold without any problem but when it gets hot it will not start. I changed the statrer 3 times with no luck. I also change the starter relay but still having the same problem. Keep me posted if you get any good sugestion.

fredjacksonsan
08-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Bleed's right, replace the ballast resistor. (That's what I was thinking about on another post)

adrenalin2k4
04-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Bleed's right, replace the ballast resistor. (That's what I was thinking about on another post)

Where is the ballast resistor located at?

adrenalin

fredjacksonsan
04-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Adrenalin, check the date on the last post before you answer it...this thread had been dead for almost 2years!

Add your comment to this topic!